Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will exposure to heat and high humidity screw my bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dirtgroove, Jun 23, 2004.

1. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Well, there's the question. I searched and didn't find anything asied from general set up issues. What I'm really concerned about is major warping.
    It gets hot and sticky, and I mean really hot and sticky here.
    From June- Sept temperatures rarely fall below 34 day or night, humidity is at beyond a joke level for most of the time so the only thing to do for the most part is to run for the beach when not at work.

I dearly love my bass. I can happily confess to spending many a minute just gazing at her, as opposed to my long suffering, perfect exgirlfriend- who recently went by the wayside so I can spend more time playing bass.

I picked her because I wanted something that would last me a lifetime. But unlike my wilting self, I suspect taking her to the beach would do her much good at all.

I'm more than a little concerned as to what the effects of this weather may do to her. Should I have her in airconditioning 24-7? Or am I worrying about nothing?
    Thanks, Tom.

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah it would. Especially changes in humidity. Heat will mess up the paint, and changes in humidity might cause your basses action to go bad. I think if you keep it in a case, and it's a quality bass you shouldn't have problems. I live in Michigan and the weather changes from 70 one week to 5 inches of snow the next, and I haven't had any major problems. I think keeping it in the case will prevent anything serious.

3. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Cheers-Locking the case as I type this with the other hand!

4. If there EVER was a good reason to go shopping for another instrument, this is it. Get a nice Essex or something else to tote to the beach and you'll be fine.

5. pbassphred

pbassphred

Jul 12, 2004
    the big killer for wooden intruments is heat and dry.
    if you live in a winter wonderland like i do (vermont)
    you should humidify your guitar.There are several types
    just go to the music store and ask ..you can make your own
    with a bit of hose and a sponge.furances and woodstove=dried cracking wood .unless you are in constant 99% humidity
    it should not hurt the guitar too bad just keep it in the case
    to help offset major changes.it is really the winter dryness
    that wacks em

:bag:

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Get an all graphite Steinberger -- humidity only messes with wood.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I plan on getting a graphite neck for my main bass if I ever go on tour.

You might want to look into that.