1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will Fender offer its new high mass bridge as an Aftermarket ad-on?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassbully, Mar 4, 2008.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Thoughts? I like the look of them and would like to get one for my P -bass if they are offered.

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I'm sure they will soon. They offer all their parts separately once they have an overstock.

3. TheKingOfDirk

TheKingOfDirk

Dec 29, 2007
    boston
    I have seen a few pop up on ebay and I'm kinda curious, any opinions yet? They look pretty cool and I'm thinking of poking some holes in my bass to make it a string through so I'd have to get a new bridge anyway.

[​IMG]

4. A Gotoh or Hipshot bridge may be better.

Personally, I like the look of my drop-in Badass Bass III bridge more than even the new high mass Fenders.

5. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Somebody here hinted that the "new" Fender high-mass bridge is just a re-badged Gotoh.

I haven't seen either up close, but it's something to consider. Honestly, if the stock bridge is attached right, and seated on the instrument well, I sincerely doubt in a double-blind listening test, ANYONE could tell the difference.

If you want to add more weight to combat neck dive on some instruments, it may useful, but I'd put it right alongside Monster Cable as a total "snake oil" preparation in terms of actually changing your tone much...at least in any noticable fashion.

As always, YMMV.

6. By the way (for those who don't know), a high-mass bridge only has an appreciable effect if you string through the bridge.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Really? Why is that? :eyebrow:

8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Indeed. I'd also like to know. My Hipshot "A" is pretty high mass and I wonder what I'm missing (besides lots of cursing trying to change strings) by string through the top instead of the body.

9. Okay, well, it may only be for me, but... stringing through the body couples the strings (and the saddles) very strongly to the body itself. It's why you get that deeper thump. (As opposed to the sparkly top of bridge stringing.) You don't need a large bridge with high inertia to transfer vibration when the anchor is the body itself.

I don't know. Top-loading drastically changes tone in comparison to thru-body, in of itself.

What I was trying to say is that in stringing through the body, you probably won't notice the difference between a high mass bridge and a normal bridge, but you'll notice a difference between a normal bridge and a high mass bridge in top-loading.

Hey, who knows, though. Maybe my ears are totally funked up (and not in the good way), and I've been mistaken this entire time.

10. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Because of the increased downforce of thru-body stringing, I'd probably agree that IF there's much if any difference between high- and low-mass bridges, it would probably only be truly apparent if top-strung, as that offers less saddle downforce, and thus possibly lighter acoustic coupling.

11. Have you tried both ways of stringing side to side? to me there is no difference at all.

12. Yeah, I have. I use really bright strings (and a wide-range combo), so the apparent muffling of the highs and increased thump (I think the volume of the low end increases) is kind of noticeable. For me, anyway. One of the salesmen at the music store notices it, too, and prefers to string through the bridge as such. We both play Fender P Basses, so I don't know. =/

Of course, it's probably not as noticeable if things get really loud, you use flatwounds, or your amp setup attenuates higher frequencies.

13. Leroy La Qua

Leroy La Qua

Nov 6, 2005
    Anyone know if these are now available as parts?

14. Babaluma

Babaluma

Nov 10, 2007
    Yokohama
    i saw one up close the other day, looks very sexy, but i'm happy with my BA II!

15. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    +1 -- although I won't insist your ears mislead you.

BTW the best-ever factory setup job I've played came to me on a St. Blues bass which had the two low strings top loaded and two high strings through body on what appears to be a custom-branded Gotoh hi mass bridge.