Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Furman help noise condition for my BMAX-t?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ge9375, Mar 5, 2006.

1. ge9375

ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    I have a BMAX-T that generates noise, including picking up a radio station (even with no bass plugged in). Does anyone believe that a power conditioner, such as the Furman PL8 II with "LiFT (Linear Filtering Technology) with zero ground contamination" help alleviate this problem?

Here's my config: Fender J-Bass MIM, all tone knobs up -> BMAX-t (gain: 2, master 5; TRS to bridged mode QSC RMX 1850 -> SWR Goliath 4x10.) = beautiful bass tone with noise (buzz, fuzz, and 103.7. FM). The noise is still there when I unplug my bass. The ground lift switch does nothing. I've tried the DI out, different cables, etc. etc. etc. (I've tried it all). My bass and my amp work wonderfully together with other peramp solutions (RBI, Hartke bass attack, Yamaha mixer...) but with a BMAX, I get noise. I get this at home (on several circuits), and I've gotten it at two tavern venues (with slightly less or at least different "noise"). I've tried different basses and different power amps.

My unit can't be defective, I'm on my third one. I'm wondering if everyone else who has a BMAX has power conditioning or just tolerates noise that only can be tolerated in a live situation. The only thing I can figure is that the power in my house (both my brand new power in my garage and my 1927 wiring in my house) and the two tavern venues I play at.... have "dirty" power. That is, the whole power system is acting as an attenna for noise (and WXSS, Kiss-FM).

Am I kidding myself by thinking that a power conditioner will stop the A/C power source from being a giant radio attenna?

I really like the features of the BMAX and the tone, but I need to play with my band, not Kiss-FM in Milwaukee.

2. Just a suggestion, but try PMing DJNylonPants.
    He's a TalkBasser, and conveniently works at BBE.
    I'm sure he could help you figure out what's up.
    Good luck.

I have the solid state BMax, and have been able to resolve any
    noise issues with the ground lift switch on the back.
    Of course, I also have the Furman Plus conditioner in my rack.
    I don't know if that makes any difference or not.
    I wish you well.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Even if the Furman doesn't solve the noise issues, it's a great addition to any rack.

I have the PL-8.. it cost me all of $40, and it's wortht he piece of mind knowing that if something bad happens, my gear will be safe.

I run 2 amps, my reverb tank, and my pedal board all through the Furman.