Will Gallien-Krueger be fixing the XLR on the MB112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davyo, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Thinking about getting the Gallien-Krueger MB112 to keep all my MarkBass gear company and I have noticed the MB112 has been hard to get but there seems to be some new runs of them coming out soon.

When GK is building the next shippment of the MB112's are they going to be fixing the backwards facing XLR plug problem.

Not that the backwards facing XLR is a deal breaker but it would seem like such an easy fix for GK to do with a new batch of MB112's.

Anyone know if its going to be fixed ???

Thanks in advance

Cheers
    Davyo

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

What's backwards about it?

As for whether they'll fix it, I doubt you're going to get a definitive answer here.

3. I have an MB115. The way it's installed, the release button is wedged against the body of the cabinet. It's really, really obnoxious trying to disconnect the XLR cable. Seriously, major downfall of the amp.

I hope they fix it.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Ah. Sounds like a pretty fishy design.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    in the pics of the panels of the mb combos on their site, it looks like they don't have release buttons for the xlr's at all.

Welcome to Gallien-Krueger: Power to Groove

not familiar with it. is this an update?

6. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    you are thinking of the female chassis-mount XLR

[​IMG]

... the release is on the cable for a male chassis-mount XLR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    doh! has it been so long since i used a di that i forgot how the cables operate? ;)

8. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Im thinking a letter opener should be added to the gig bag, or you use a 6" jumper and leave it in...I know, not what you are wanting to hear...

9. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    You could always take the amp apart and rotate the XLR jack 180 degrees. There should be enough wiring to do it [edit:] unless it's integrated to the mainboard of the amp.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i haven't opened one to be sure, but i'd bet dollars to donuts that it's soldered onto a pcb.

11. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It is soldered to that module. The only wires you have in those is connecting the modules to other modules.
    Wes

12. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Wonder how they missed that deal?

13. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Just to get this out in the open once and for all. I took my MB212 apart and here are the photos.

If they make an XLR jack with the 3 chrome "wires" facing the other direction, then it wouldn't be a huge soldering deal to replace it. But I don't know if they make such a device. If it was that simple, GK would have just swapped a part out I think.

IMO, this should have already been fixed. As I've mentioned in another thread, I saw the pics/videos from NAMM, and the entire silver amp section was flipped around 180°, making the XLR jack in the right direction. They obviously changed at some point, and the machining and tooling was already done.

That's my guess. I'm going to peel the tolex back, use a round file and file an angled groove enough to stick my index finger down and pop the little button. Then re-glue the tolex back. Should look factory, although a bit odd.

14. johnnybass01

johnnybass01

Sep 3, 2010
    Sparks NV
    Edorsing artist: Brubaker Guitars
    Couldn't you just take a dremel to the cabinet and then just touch it up with black nail polish , who would see it?seems easier than trying to re do the xlr , I never use mine ,I run a sansamp

15. That's what I meant by release button, the thing that disconnects the cable.

I don't use my XLR often, but when I do, I'd like clear access.

16. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    It seems kinda odd that GK made such a dumb design flaw.

You would think company's that make a product would play with that product and look for design screw-up's but such is not the case.

GK is not alone in making un-thought out choices,,, when ever I see companies put out a product with such a simple screw-up I gota wonder if the ones that designed the product are sitting in their office thinking or saying "Ohh crap" how did we miss that ???

Ohh well,, if anything it is kinda entertaining when company's make such a simple screw-up.

But with all that being said,, GK is a great company (IMO) and puts out some very cool products and from what I have read they are very good when is comes to CS.

Cheers
    Davyo

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    it's entertaining to watch other people go through it, for sure ;) gk seems to have had a few problems lately, but they have been making good. otoh, this is a pretty big blunder imho. you shouldn't need a second tool to remove a mic cable.

18. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    My dad's got an MB500 (I think that's the model, lightweight silver head) well shoot it works 50% of the time all the time!

1st gig flawless
    2nd gig the volume was super quiet, but would kick in when it wanted to
    ---insert 2 weeks at a GK Tech
    3rd gig worked
    4th gig dodgy volume again.
    end part where the amp gets take to gigs. It sits on a shelf now.

19. spiltcoil

spiltcoil Inactive

Dec 13, 2010
    These MB amps seem to come with one too many design flaws. If care isn't taken at one stage in the design, who's to say they didn't skimp elsewhere? They lost me at the lack of baffling. Watching everyone void their warranty after dropping money on these amps to correct something that shouldn't have to be corrected just makes me cringe. For the record, I love my rb700. I know, useless post.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    installing foam lining in your cab voids the warranty? i would certainly hope not.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021