1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will getting a better bridge enhance the sound and playability of my student bass?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Thebasshero95, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Thebasshero95

Thebasshero95

Jan 17, 2012
    I am thinking about getting a new bridge I am wondering is it worth getting.

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    It depends on the quality and fit of the bridge you have on it. If it is of poor quality and a poor fit than yes.

3. MiJaKo

MiJaKo

Oct 27, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    There's a good chance a decent new bridge will cost more than your student bass did. I say use that money to save up for a new bass, or if the bridge I'd defective, see if you can get a salvaged one (if it's a Fender bent plate type).

4. Thebasshero95

Thebasshero95

Jan 17, 2012
  5. Thebasshero95

Thebasshero95

Jan 17, 2012
    my bass cost me around $1400 to $1700 :)

6. MiJaKo

MiJaKo

Oct 27, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Oh, totally my bad. Didn't notice the forum I was posting in. Just scrolling through the "current" threads list on my phone.
    I'll close the door behind me now.

7. Hi.

What's wrong with Your current bridge?

Regads
    Sam

8. Thebasshero95

Thebasshero95

Jan 17, 2012
    Nothing I was planing on upgrading to a 5k bass (the Wan Bernadel from string emporium) and since I have no money to pay for it I was upgrading my setup on my current bass to have a more professinal setup to raise the value and sell it to help me pay for the new one I am trying to get.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In my view you are better off saving your money. I doubt that you will actually profit from the upgrades, especially once you pay for fitting.

Is the bridge adjustable? If not, then adding adjusters to the existing bridge is an affordable upgrade that makes logical sense on most basses, and the luthier could double check the quality of the fit at this point.

I've noticed that there is generally an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality about parts upgrades on DB. When people talk about the quality of the setup, they are usually talking about what can be done with the existing wood if possible. For a student bass, it would probably amount to checking the string height at the nut and bridge, and checking the fingerboard for trouble spots.

10. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    IMO silly to upgrade the bridge just to sell the bass. Unless it really is an awful bridge.

If you like, lightly sand the face of the bridge with fine sandpaper to clean off the gunk and make it look nicer. Yes, check nut and bridge slots, clean the back of the neck, and behind it's ears. Check the endpin works and doesn't stick. Check the tuners work. Check the strings are OK not kinked or frayed or caked in rosin. You want it to look and feel nice.

When you've done all that you might not be in such a hurry to sell it!

11. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Best way to improve your sound... even better than buying a new bridge or endpin...

is to practice lots and work on your tone, technique, and attack.

That and...

wait for it...

Getting a teacher. :)

12. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    +1 This is solid advice.

13. Has your current bass been to a local bass luthier since it arrived at your door from the seller?

From your other post in the Basses folder, you said your current bass was hard to play, mainly because, according to you, the neck was thin. Having your current bass properly set up by a bass luthier will make it easier to play and sound better (won't change the neck). This may mean you could still grow on it for a year longer while you save up, and will sound/feel better to the next potential buyer. The luthier could work with the bridge currently on your bass. There is no point in buying a bridge off the Internet and then handing it to him, especially if it has already been cut to have adjusters installed.

Have you tried a Wan Bernadel in person? Do you know you'll actually like it? There are two for sale in the Classifieds section, maybe one of them is near you.

14. Thebasshero95

Thebasshero95

Jan 17, 2012
    thanks unfortunatly no neither of the wans for sale are near me. About my bass I actually purchased it from a old lady whose son plays bass but temporarily quit while he was in college. The bass is about 14 yrs old but was basically brand new when I purchased it so im pretty sure it wasnt set up professionaly by a luthier.