1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will Grover titans fit 11/16" peg-head holes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, May 17, 2011.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I'm guessing not. Basspartsresource.com says the Titans require 11/16" holes but everything else says they require 21/32" so I am guessing the tuners will be too small for the holes...

anyone know? Looking to put Titans on a Warmoth neck pre-drilled for Schaller BMLs (11/16")

2. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Anyone?

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Are you kidding? I've just been through this exercise and the real question (which I've asked here in the past) is "Why are the people who make/sell bass tuners such idiots?"

Usually they don't even LIST a hole size let alone a wrong one! I've just checked all my Grover bookmarks and there is ZERO information. I can't even find HOW the bushing attaches to the headstock with these. I guess that is why Grover didn't get my sale!

How it attaches is important because if it's pressed in, too loose a hole is bad (falls out). And too tight is bad (can split headstock). If it is the type with a threaded bushing that just screws on then you are home free because it isn't much of an issue.

So you've found more information that most of us. I guess the idea is that you just buy them and if they don't work you send them back and buy something else. I bought something else first.

What ARE these people thinking? (or NOT thinking?) They don't even tell you in most cases if the tuners go in large (Fender) holes or the smaller ones. What do they think people will be doing with these tuners? Hanging them on the wall for a musical collage? Idiots!

So Now it's up to you TimBosby! The ball is in your court. Buy those tuners and then report back what you found. This thread can then be a reference for all of us forever! And we all thank you in advance!

4. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hahaha I don't know I might just get some Schaller BMLs because that's what this Warmoth headstock is drilled for.

I've lost enough money in my bass-playing life just from return shipping costs on parts that didn't work :meh:

5. goff

goff Banned

Mar 12, 2007

According to Stew Mac, they recommend an 11/16" hole for the Titans, because it gives a little room and its easier to find a drill bit this size than 21/32 or 0.656

Either way if you're making larger or new holes, this tuner should work with the 11/16" designation.

The Titans have two additional wood screws on the back-plate to keep the tuner in place vs the Schallers which are just set pins.

The mounting system for both these is banjo bolt or hollow screw, not a thrust washer which gets pressed in.

Schaller's M4S, (the Titan equivalent) are 17.00mm (0.669) which if you look at a conversion chart for 21/32 it will show 16.5mm, 16.66mm and 17mm as almost the same thing as 21/32. Yet at 17.00 mm its not really 11/16 as that in millimeters is 17.46 so both tuner brands of this model will be a little loose as well (not a press fit) but then once everything is tightened, it should work.

Grover Titans
    [​IMG]

Schaller MS4GO
    [​IMG]

Its not exact at all, there is some play for either tuner.

Stew Mac's feeling is better a little loose than too tight.

Where the inconsistencies exist is in the classic bass tuners with the thrust washer like the Schaller BM, are 17.5mm, a tad over 11/16 hole, and 22.0 (55/64 or 0.866) thrust washer width, the Grover vintage 142 are 18.3 (23/32 or 0.718) for the thrust washer width, so yeah, there is no standard. You might want to make sure you measure before you make a choice on the thrust washer type, which should be based on the closest size and fitment to your original tuners, not just the brand, unless you want and have to do extra work.

Schaller BM:
    58___Bass_BM_Gold_800px.

Grover vintage 142:

51zJvhsrdnL.

Why the discrepancies is anyone's guess.

And then again, maybe not that critical.