Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Hartke VXL Attack give me sound of Hartke punch?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by semborg, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Will Hartke VXL Attack give me sound of Hartke punch?

I think hartke make low quality basses sing better.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Do you mean the classic Hartke aluminum cone sound? If that's what you mean, the answer is no.

3. But it will sound hartke?

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    In my opnion, no. I've used several different configurations and models of Hartke cabs and I don't think the VX series sounds like "real" Hartke cabs at all.

For the real Hartke sound you need the XL series. VX and TP series cabs use different drivers and construction and don't sound the same or hold up as well.

5. Will it color my tone?

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Actually the TP series cabs use the same drivers but the construction is what differentiates them, the outer shell is thinner. This is unless I have been terribly misinformed.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Hartke..... punch? :eyebrow:

8. Hartke gives extra punch to low quality basses.

At least in my opinion.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nope. Different drivers between the XL and TP series - smaller magnets. At least they were about 6 or 7 years ago when I cracked one of each open to take a peek.

10. Well I own the VXL and I have to say it depends on your rig, if you have a 2x15 it isnt going to suddenly punch like a 4x10. The shape filter is incredibly useful I have to say, it makes a cheap bass sound MUCH better :) a brilliant match for passive basses too.

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Oh yes. Lots and lots.

12. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Upon reflection it appears that they differentiate from their speaker types on their site but as far as I'm aware only supply one type for replacement speakers which seems odd. Anyway, the TP I have is probably going to be traded plus cash for a 4.5 xl in the mid to long term and a 115xl added too. Anyway, you can't expect a single pedal to give you the sound of an entire rig but I have heard good things about this one (not nesscisarily that it'll make your rig sound like a Hartke though).

13. I have the pedal, it gives a fairly good tube emulation which will give you punch, and the shape works pretty well too. watch the level changes though

14. urje

urje

Sep 13, 2005
    well, i didn't really like the thing. the shape is like an anti-cut-through button because of the mid-scoop, and the levelchange makes it not very useful in extreme settings when switching it on and off. not sure how much it sounds like 'your typical hartke sound', i've hardly ever played on a hartke rig.

15. To be honest, I use mine more for the Tube emulation and the DI - I don't really use the eq on the preamp (I like the way my bass sounds already) or the shape function... I would have used it more if it had a mid adjustment.