1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will having access panels effect the sound?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HollowBassman, Mar 15, 2008.

1. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    I plan on getting a custom bass made in a year or two, and am trying to get all the details worked out in my head. I've come to the conclusion that having access panels in the back will probably be necessary, and I'm curious about how much of an effect they would have on the sound of a semi-hollowbody. Also, is it difficult to put access panels in a semi-hollowbody?

2. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it will enhance mid-hump :smug:

3. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    :meh:
    Well, back to the drawing board I guess.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to secure thumbwheel-style volume and tone pots to a semi-hollowbody without requiring an access panel nor screws through the top?

4. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    pictures of the body and controls in question might help

5. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Please excuse the sloppiness.

I would like the thumbwheel pots(the ones pictured are from a Fender Jaguar) to be fairly close to the pickups for ease of reach while playing.

projectpartIII-1.