Will heat ruin my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Jun 1, 2002.

1. I left my amp and cab in my car over night the other night and everything appears to be working fine but i wanted to ask around to make sure. Obviosuly nothing was turned, but definately the gear was swelltering hot when i retrieved it today. I couldn't even grab one of the cab handles it would burn my hand. Since everything was off, it should all be good, right?
  2. It's probably OK, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. If the heat doesn't get it, thieves will.
  3. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    ...and they will.
  4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Electronically, your amp should be fine. Amps tend to get hot when you're using them--usually even hotter than the interior of your car would get.

What might not survive unscathed are the things like knobs, labels, etc. Some knobs are made of a relatively soft plastic that won't necessarily melt in the heat, but might soften and distort a little bit and loosen their grip on the shaft. Labels (some manufacturers use printed Lexan-type labels for chassis graphics instead of screen printing) might lose some adhesion and start to peel.

If the amp is okay now, then there's nothing to worry about. I agree with the others about avoiding the risk of theft by not leaving your gear in your car, though!
  5. Thanks everyone, i appreciate the input. Yeah, theft wasn't an issue because i live in a really great neighborhood and so i wasn't worried about that. otherwise i definately wouldn't have left it there.