1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will I be loud enough at this gig? You decide.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Feb 22, 2008.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    So my band and I are performing Sweet Child O' Mine (and a few other 80's songs) for a school event Saturday night, in a gym. There will be 500-1000 people there, and the gym has a nice big stage like for plays and stuff. All I'm using is an Ampeg BA-115 (100 Watts). There are 6 of us in the band.

Drummer is very very heavy handed (plays loud, but will not be miked at all)
    Lead guitarist plays through a Peavey half stack.
    Rhythm guitarist uses a 2x10 Vox solid-state amp.
    Singer has the whole house PA, so he's fine.

I had the option of using a provided sound system which is probably somehting like two 15" speakers..and I hear that bass will bottom those things out. It's in a big open gym (like a whole basketball court sized one, the wooden floors, etc.)..there will be chairs filled with people from the stage to the back of the gym, and the bleachers filled, and that nice big stage to reverberate noise. Will my amp be able to fill that whole gym? How should I EQ the amp to do this the best I can?

2. collicsws6z28

collicsws6z28

Jan 29, 2007
    Without PA, you stand no chance

3. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    A truer statement hath not been stated before.

4. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    The bass is really important in that song and you need to be heard for that song to work... that amp is not gonna work. You either need to DI through the PA or get some big rig to fill the room.

5. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    you could hire a rig. probably a bit excess for 1 song but you will need to knock it up notch. BAMM!

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Does the Ampeg have a line out??? Maybe you could run through both your amp AND the PA. You need more power - When I was younger my bass player friends would sometimes combine our 'rigs' for each other at big gigs. Maybe you can invite another bass player to play one of the tunes as a guest in exchange for use of his amp. Does your area have rentals??? Sometimes they are cheap if the gig is quick. Even adding a second combo amp combined with yours will be a big help. Good Luck

7. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    we have a pa to use but i don't think its very good and I have a feeling my bass would bottom it out...a friend of mine has another ba115 I could use but I have no idea how to "connect" them

8. There's your answer..........case closed.

9. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    time to go to guitar ceter and finance something nice my son

10. +1, unless you DI your bass will be DOA in the mix.

Go to GC, buy a more powerful rig, use it don't abuse it, return it in 30 days. Voila! Rental complete!

11. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Go to ProPiano or another gear rental company and rent a large amp and cab. It's not difficult or (too) expensive.

12. krazyduck

krazyduck

Jan 27, 2008
    got to sam ash or something with a return policy, buy one on a card, then return it the next day.

13. Krispy

Krispy

May 21, 2007
    NJ USA
    Mic everything or forget it - your doomed.

14. You shouldn't "bottom out" the PA if it's set up properly. I would just go out of the line out on the BA115 and run into the mixer that's running the PA. The line out on those is post volume, so if you turn your volume up on the Ampeg, it turns the level coming out of the Line Out up as well. So, just set it and leave it and if you want more volume tell the sound guy to turn down before you do.

I would just go to the show as early as possible and play through some stuff with your group to get it set up running through the PA. You just have to do that or you won't be heard.

The other option is to put a mic (any will do ok) in front of your cab and run THAT back to the PA instead of line out.

15. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I dunno, when he says the provided PA in a gym is likely to be insufficient and crappy, I'm willing to believe that. So I don't think DI or mic is the solution here.

16. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    His bass will sound horrible anyway in that gym. Some of the most horrible places to play.

17. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    Get ur band 2 turn down, its a school event, get ur gorilla sorry drummer to use hot rods rather than clubs, and turn down every1s amp by a 1/2 ur not playing a festival y deafen the audience, you'll all be heard, ur in a large gym, loud volume will just sound muddy due to the reverb of the hall, I've used a BA115 live in a ballroom which the capacity was 5000, and because my band have no problem playing to the audience i could be heard, trust man, school gig u got wat u need, don't over do it and hire or DI, just put ur amp above 3 and u'll b heard. Admittedly I'm not a fan of the BA115's I think ashdown do much better value and sounding combo's but they work

18. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    +1

I think you should follow this advice before spending any money.

19. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    yeah the staff commitee said we don't need to be loud, just heard

20. grieverOSOK

grieverOSOK

Jan 12, 2008
    Ohio
    thats some good advice. i played the exact type of space you're talking but i used 2 300w 15s w/ tweeters and ran a line out to the PA. so i had output from both amps plus the bottom of the PA and that mixed great with a miced guitar half stack and a heavy handed drummer. just one 15 doesn't stand a chance without a PA.