1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will I be wasting my time?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brick Top, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    I just got a used Behringer(don't laugh) BX4210A. My plan is to change out the aluminum drivers with Eminence BP102 or B102's...just haven't figured out which one is better for me yet. The B102's are only $60 in one place.

Anyways...I intend to get an extension cab...preferably a 15" unit(8 ohm). The Amp has 150 watts available for the extension cab...and 300 for the 2 x 10" drivers inside plus a tweeter.

I don't plan on doing any major giging. I have only been playing(trying) for 3 months....but I may end up doing some stuff in some small local bars in a year or so if I improve enough.

Does my plan sound do-able...or should I just go a different route?

I play mostly classic rock and Police & Stone Roses and stuff like that. Nothing too heavy. Ac/DC is about as heavy as it gets for me.

Cheers,
    BT

2. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    you could, maybe. match the specs (internal volume, power handling, etc.) as well as you can to the cab. make sure you keep your impedance matched too. if you want to keep it @ 8 ohms you either need two 16-ohm drivers or two 4-ohm drivers, depending on series v. parallel. i don't know which driver will suit that cab the best offhand.

but frankly you might be better off saving your money for future upgrades.

3. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    Well Be3hringer says the extension cab must be 8 ohms or higher if runing with the internal speakers. I assume the internals are 8 ohms to equal 4 ohms total. Getting answers to technical questions from Behringer is like pulling teeth.

I think the amp is pretty decent...so thats why I thought this would be a doable route to go.

Cheers,
    BT

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I would avoid touching the internal drivers. The cab is designed around the driver; finding another that matches the cab will be a lot of work. Why do you want to change them anyway?

5. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Put the money for the speakers and the extension cabinet in the bank.

I had one of those Behringers, and even running the head through nice speakers, I couldn't get a good tone out of it. I'd suspect you're going to want a different amp before you start playing out.

Just an opinion of course.

6. Sadly things don't work the way you are thinking. You can't just stick any driver of a given size into a box designed for that size driver. Doing so is a crap shoot at best and a recipe for damaged drivers. The box is designed to suit the specific set of driver parameters of the original speakers.

Paul

7. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    I want to change out the drivers cause the it has those aluminum ones in it...and the right one already has a rattle. I tried tightening the screws...but that didn't cure it.

The Eminence 10" drivers seem like a good replacement. It is a vented cab...and Behringer says I only have to be concerned with the cutout size and screw alignment for the replacements. But I can make new screw holes if need be.

The amp is not built around the internal drivers...cause they have set it up so you can unplug the internals...and run two extension cabs if you want...as long as both are 8 ohms so you stay 4 ohm stable.

The amp seems like a pretty good piece of gear...with lots of eq and power. I think a little DIY love & care may just make this a playable unit.

I was hoping there would be some other users out there that have changed out the drivers in this unit.

Cheers,
    BT

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Behringer is dead wrong. That is so not the only things you need to be concerned about. They're not concerned about it because they just slap crap together and call it an amp. Sorry, but that's what they do. They've even admitted to it, though they tend to use doublespeak when describing the process.

Judging by this past reply, you were obviously looking for reinforcement for your idea instead of the truth. Which is fine...but you have a lot of people who know their stuff telling you not to bother, and you can spend a lot of money to find out they were right, or you can take them at their word and save the money for a better cab in the future.

9. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    You should consider getting a bass amp. I have one and it sure is nifty!!

EDIT: Btw it actually only has 150w of power. Behr quotes peak, so their 300w = everyone else's 150.

10. HE means the CAB itself is designed around the actual drivers I think. IIWY / IMO I'd save up a bit & get a different set up, but U CAN just swap out a 10" speaker if U wish. cannot be guaranteed of any great results tho. May be better than what U R experiencing now tho.. IF NEED an new spkr. I'd 1. sell/trade what I got for a Hartke/Peavey combo similar, or 2. Buy a CHEAP spkr, throw it in there, use for a year, then sell it/keep it as a prac rig, & save up for a 2nd hand Hartke/Peavy or similar combo or amp/cab that'll be fit for gigging.

11. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Correct; it's the cabinet that's designed to match the speakers.

The amp should be fine driving other cabinets.

As for the rattling speaker, I presume the unit is not under warranty.

12. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    Correct...not under warranty...and I got it for a song....so what the hey.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess I should of clarified that the idea of getting a 15" cab would not only be pretty cool for some bottom end now...but it would be useful when and if I actually learn this instrument...and upgrade to a better amp. My idea to change out the drivers and get an extention cab is just to make a do-able unit so if I do get to play in a small venue it will suffice...and if I am successful....I still have a decent cab to use...and this unit makes for a pretty good practice unit anyways.

Cheers,
    BT

13. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    That rattling sound is your speaker exploding. It happened to two out of the four speakers in my behringer amp.

That other sound? That's your money circling around the drain.
    Sell that amp before it goes down.

14. lightningDolt

lightningDolt

Feb 9, 2008
    The BIGGEST PROBLEM with a Behringer is, "if it goes South, it ain't worth fixing" and that means your driver investment even if, it's just right, will be a BIG Loss, Save your money, Think like a PRO and Save for a Good Amp.
    If you want to Be a Pro Think like one

Good Luck,

15. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Put the money towards a decent extension cabinet. Disconnect the speakers inside the Behringer and just use it to power the extension cabinet. That should be plenty for practicing. When you get ready for gigging or if the Behringer goes kaput, get a decent head and re-use the extension cabinet.

16. Brick Top

Brick Top

Dec 7, 2008
    Michigan
    Good advice & I appreciate it. I am going ahead with the project anyways cause the new drivers are cheap....and they will still be useful for another project like building my own cab if I don't like the results.

Cheers,
    BT

17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Considering you are past this stage and are going ahead with the project as stated in your other thread I am closing this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.