Will I Damage My Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Benner, Nov 18, 2004.

1. A friend of mine has given me a Peavey TKO 65 amp. It looks like this had been a combo but someone took a saw to the cabinet and took it out making it a head only.

There is only one home made speaker jack which looks to me like it would have been the cable that would have run to the internal speaker of the combo. There are no "external speaker" jacks on the amp like you see with the larger PV combo amps such as the Combo 300.

There is also a sign that says "65 watts - 23V RMS - 8ohms". It does not say minimum 8ohms or anything like that anywhere on the amp.

What I want to do is to plug it into my Yorkville 2x10 8ohm and 1x15 8ohm cabs by daisy chaining it. Amp -> 2x10 -> 1x15

That means the amp will "see" 4 ohms, right?

I don't care if the amp blows up. I reallllllly don't care about the amp. Will it damage my speakers in any way/shape/form?

This is only at rehearsals (so that I can take my SWR SM 900 home to record with) and when we rehearse we are quiet. I have used my PV Micro Bass amp to power these cabs with no distortion (that's 20 watts into the 4ohm load,... no problem with the gain at 3-4)

So, to recap. It's not going to be loud. I know it's 65watts (all I need is 10-15watts) at 8ohms but it doesn't say minimum 8ohms. And I don't care about the amp,.... I care about the speakers.

Thanks all.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Might damage the amp (if it can't go to 4 ohms total), but won't damage the speakers. Just don't run it to the point of clipping and you'll be OK on your end.
  3. OK, I'll try it out. Thanks Eric.