Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will I damage my speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HotTubesGrooves, Sep 7, 2005.

1. I run the 300w Behringer BX3000t head (I know I know...) and a Warwick 211 pro 2x10" cab rated at 400w (8ohm).

When I am running at approx half volume on the head, and when I have the 2 lowermost bass frequency dials boosted to about 3 o' clock, the limiter light comes on all the time on the head when I play the low notes.

I have recently had a bad experience with my Behringer 2x10" cabs speakers blowing out, so I'm a bit parinoid. I do intend to get a 15" cab to compliment the 10"s and to handle the lows, but will running my 2x10" on its own, loud, with the bass boosted damage the speakers? Or should they be able to take it?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Do you want to take the chance?? Your limiter should only blink occasionally, like no more than once every 10 seconds (pulled out of my butt)

"a limiter LED is a light that tells you, you need more power and speakers." - Mcrelly

3. Methinks the issue is your EQ. Too much low end.

While this may sound fine at home practicing, in a live band setting this isn't a good EQ to go with. Lows eat your power, and the sound is usually muddy to the audience's ears.

Set the lows more flat, mids are your friend. That's what the audience hears.

edited:
    P.S. And boosting the lows can be hazardous to your speaker's health.

4. e-kill

e-kill

Apr 24, 2001
    Sweden / Stockholm
    I had a BX3000t once upon a time... The limiter was ****ed up and it shut down the head every time it became "to loud"... The sick part was that even though the bass wasnt connected, the exterior sound (like drums and guitar) could make the limiter shut down the amp... So my opinion is to get rid of it and buy something that wont go broken in 2 days...