Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

will I ever find a rig that satisfies me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 22, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm sure some of you can recall the journey through ampdom of mine. So many cabs: Hartke 115TP, SWR Goliath Sr, GK 410RBH, Genz Benz 610XB-2, GK 115RBH, Hartke 410XL, Ampeg 610. Now I'm selling the Ampeg in pursuit of an SWR Goliath Sr. Now I'm even toying with the idea of selling my 1001RB-II and upgrading to a 2001RB. Has anyone been through on ordeal like this? You just can't find that rig that you're perfectly happy with?

2. Yes...

I just had an RBI/Plx 3402/Acme B-4 x 2 rig that I switched out entirely for a Mesa 400+ into a Berg NV610.

What you need to do is get something good, then turn off Talkbass for a few months. It's the constant searching, reading posts, thinking of other peoples' opinions, and second-guessing that makes you think your tone isn't satisfactory.

That's my opinion of course. I truly think that any rig can give you an incredible tone if you just spend the time to fall in love with it....and from now on I hope I can follow my own advice.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    too many people have. part of the deal is that yousound liek you no matter what. another factor is that there are just a lot of "flavors" out there, and you can usually find something you like and dont like about every one. looking thru your list i could comment that imo you haven't tried (or at least owned) a bunch of my favorite equipment, not to mention a lot of newer stuff that i haven't had the privelege to hear, but have become interested in as a result of this accursed website. :p
    don't discount experimenting with your technique. i know cats who can play anything and make it sound fantastic. There's nothing wrong with being into gear and trying l;ots of stuff, but it can become a crippling obsession where you end up ignoring your playing and waste untold amounts of money and time in a never ending game of buying and selling equipment in search of a non-existent holy grail.

4. unregistered

unregistered unregistered

Jun 18, 2004
    thats one of the best pieces of advice I've ever seen here.

5. I'm not familiar with your situation. What are you looking for sound-wise? What is the 1001 not doing for you?

6. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Eventually you'll find what you are after. It just takes alot of searching sometimes. I tried different Ampeg, Acme, Mesa, Eden, EV cabinets (that I bought....not just tried in a shop) and also went through as many heads before I found a combo I am finally happy with. I currently have an Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp with and Ashly FET-2000M power amp through two Mesa Boogie 1x15's and one 2x10 Diesel cabinets. I was ready to sell it all because I wasn't pleased with my sound then I bought the 2nd 1x15 cab and it all fell into place. It's only taken me 15 years. :p

7. yep...

once it feels great and the next time you plug in it doesn´t sound good anymore. or does it?
    been there.
    then you hear some great sounds on a record and want to get that sound and you don´t. you think you have to have that and that amp when maybe one should have spent more time practice than listening to different cabs.
    i don´t know, you seem to have a good rig maybe it suits you maybe it don´t.
    i fiddle between 3 rigs.
    whatever suits my mood at the time. they all sound very different from each other and sometimes i hate the sound from one of them and the next month i love it...strange, but that´s the way it is for me
    :meh:
    i guess an amp with 3 channels and capability to switch between them would be "my" amp (valve, solidstate, overdrive and different eq for all channels he he) haven´t found one yet...

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    It's not the rig, it's you - and your playing! ;)

Seriously, there's so much great gear available nowadays that you could spend a lifetime chasing the perfect tone. Much better to settle down with a rig that gets you 90% of the way there and concentrate on your playing and music. And likely as not, the rig will turn out to be 99% perfect once you've really learnt how to use it.

Alex

9. I couldn't agree more. I bought my current set up while still in college (8 yrs ago). It isn't the best by far, but I was forced to make it work because I simply could not afford to keep replacing it. In that time, I 've had the chance to play through it in a lot of different situations...and found it's biggest limitation was me (well, that and headroom).

You've been fortunate enough to play through some nice equipment. I'll echo a previous poster and recommend that you buy the best you can afford and then try not to read the Amp Forum for a while. Lord knows this website has had me itching for new gear since I first looked at it.

Mike

10. I used to think I had G.A.S. for basses, but not for amps or cabinets. And then, it just sorta happened.
    It started with me having a perfectly good rig.
    Then, getting some money and thinking I should "upgrade".
    Then, deciding for some odd reason that I should change from a 4x10 to a 2x12.
    Then, finding the 2x12 couldn't cut it alone.
    Then, buying a 2x10.
    Then, selling the whole stack after deciding I could get by with a 1x15 combo.
    Then, playing a gig with the 1x15 combo. :help:
    So, last week I bought a 550-watt amp and a 6x10. Back to square one!
    To echo what the others have said: if you find something that works, stick with it. Tinkering is fun.. to a point.

11. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I went through a similar journey over the last year or 2. I have gone through SWR, Eden, Glockenklang, Genz Benz, Every Ampeg, EA iAmps, GK, you name it. I even did an amp shootout on HC where I a/b/c/d'd all of these amps.

I finally found the perfect head. Trace V6, V4 etc series. All tube for this guy.

I also went through several cabs and after loving my Eden cabs for forever (I still do) I finally found something I like better. Bergantino. The NV-610 matches perfectly with an all tube head. The 322 is outstanding as well, but I like the sound of the NV series with tube heads better.

I am finally completely satisfied with my rig. While I'm still curious about other gear (Schroeder Cabs for one) I have absolutely no GAS for any more amp gear. I'm selling off all the stuff I went through and keeping what, for me, is the perfect amp setup.

It took me a lot of time and $ to find what I really wanted...the sound in my head...but to ME it was worth it.

12. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I think the answer is no. Turning off Talkbass and eBay is good advice.

I have a great setup now. But the other day I went to an audition and they had an old Peavey TNT 115 to play through. My Sad sounded great through it. Of course my rig sounds better? . . . doesn't it? . . . .it must. :eek:

13. joetheragman

joetheragman

Oct 4, 2004
    florida
    Once I put a sansamp RBI through a Carvin dcm 1500 and borrowed hartke 410 xl and 2.5 xl, my quest was over. It does it all, from my wildest 32 nd note Wootenizing to fretless torch songs to jazz. I sold everything else. The whole thing cost less than $1350 (DCM 1500 was used - $225). Those same Hartkes didn't really sound bad using another amp head, but nothing special. Something about that RBI and a linear power amp just brought them to life. The difference was truly extraordinary. Since then it has been all up to me to improve, since I am the weakest component in the system. I am free, I am free.

... but I do have nagging thoughts about Schroeder cabs ...

14. Its like cars, you get a sports car you want a faster one. You get a suv, you want a bigger one. etc..............

Makes me nuts, I'm very very happy with my Eden rig........But if James Hart posts just one more pic of his Peavy tweed and Schroder cabs, who knows :D :D :D

Actually just to be obnoxious I may just get an all tube head and redo the whole rig in Luis Vitton logo leather............... :eek:

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Let me give you a bit of advice my father gave me: "Give up all hope. That way, you're never let down."

Honestly, tweaking your rig and tone is part of the ongoing process as a musician. Some people take a more drastic approach by changing amps, others just change the way they play. Both are a valid way of pursuing your individual tone, but one sure is a lot cheaper!

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Some people feel they have found their perfect amp rig. I haven't.

I absolutely love what I have now (Bergantino!) and can't imagine trading for anything. But there are other great tones out there.

F'r instance: my #2 band rehearses in the guitarist's living room. I play bass through his vintage blackface Fender Showman head that pushes an open-back cabinet that contains a vintage JBL K140 (?) 15" speaker. It sounds absolutely incredible. Not enough power for gigs, but whoa, it's a beautiful sound at that volume, even against 2 guitars and drums.

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my problem is that i liek a lot of the flavors available
    not that i'm dissatisfied my demeter/stewart/bag end rig at all, far from it
    i just happen to like a lot of the other stuff out there and would liek one of each :p

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    perfectly sterile cab... and that pedal thing that emulates amps?

19. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    You keep switching gear so fast, how can you ever really learn how your playing interacts with what you have?

Fer christ sakes, stop worrying and just play. I'm sure people don't pay attention to your tone anyway, you are, after all, just a bass player ;)