Will I get a P-Funk sound with this pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by blowabs, Feb 18, 2010.

1. blowabs

blowabs

Apr 7, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Parliament/Funkadelic sound is what i am after...will a Boss SYB-3 Bass Synthesizer get it....
    I want to do songs like"Flashlight", "Not just Knee Deep", etc...correctly....(when Bernie Worrell did bass synth sounds when Bootsie wasnt on certain cuts...)

I dont want to waste money guys if it wont at least approach it sonically. thx, all.
    -allan

2. 7XL

7XL

Jul 23, 2009
    St Paul. MN
    No.

3. Hey, come on... if you're not going to be helpful or forcefully suggest a search, then don't say anything at all :)

The SYB pedals aren't going to get you the stacked oscillators sound that Bernie Worrell had as the Boss pedal only has a single oscillator, if memory serves me well.

Check out the new MarkBass Super Synth for a bass synth with multiple oscillators. It has three that can be swept over two octaves in either direction (I think) and can be detuned to sound fatter.

I would recommend checking out the Electro Harmonix Bass Micro Synth. Bernie didn't use one but Bootsy has been known to.

Your best bet for Bernie synth tones would be a keyboard synth. If you're wanting to look at the modular pedal route for bass guitar synth, just know that it's an expensive, slippery slope and unless you really want those bass guitar synth tones then you're probably better off getting a small keys synth.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    the syb-3 is actually what i use for an envelope filter. it's a nice one, too. not really concerned about how many oscillators it has or whether it's the exact bootsy-tone. it works for what i do.

5. blowabs

blowabs

Apr 7, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    thank you jimmy and bmx.
    I wanna go cheap as i will not be gigging with it.
    I have all Boss pedals so i may give it a shot, even tho Worrell didnt use anything cheap.

6. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    It'll get you close in everything but the tracking... Depends on how fast/clean you play it.

stats.png

stats.png

7. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i actually can get the flashlight tone with a bassballs. turn the distortion on, and put the knob around 1-3 o'clock and it nails it. with an octaver it's spot on, but without it sounds dang close enough.

8. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I've had best luck with a Bass Micro Synth; haven't tried the Boss pedal.

9. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I use a DOD FX25B and a EBS OctaBass to get my PFunk on. The DOD has a funny hiccup to its sound that works.

10. blowabs

blowabs

Apr 7, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wow..."FITT".....got a nice sound to it: the DOD FX25B.
    And for:$33....that cant be beat!
    I'll just add the octave mode in my Zoom B2 pedal to it.....

thanks again, guys....

11. OilcanRacer

OilcanRacer

May 7, 2009
    that was my old way of doing it too.

i now have a much more expensive version.

12. Check out PFunk All Stars Live at the Beverly Theater. Skeet Curtis Played the Heaven out of all of those lines without effects. You may want to try it that way and see if you like it.

13. 7XL

7XL

Jul 23, 2009
    St Paul. MN
    Where is that talent pedal? I just saw it over there.......:bag:

14. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    The 2 best pedals for a P Funk kind of sound are the EHX micro synth and some kind of envelope filter. The Mutron is the real deal, but the EHX Enigma Q Balls is an excellent envelope filter, but is not easy to use. Neither pedal is cheap.

15. I used to have Roland SYB-3 for filter and synth to try and get those Fat Phunky Squelchy P-Funk sounds and got very frustrated with it. The SYB-3 seemed too thin and not creamy enough, the saw sounds were horrible too; but worst of all the tracking was poor and has a definite lag (despite attending to playing technique to compensate). In the end I shelled out for the EHX Micro Bass Synth (old one) and have never looked back; I also got the EHX Bass Balls filter for more Bootsylicious yumminess.

I suggest you save up and get the EHX gear; I feel sure you won't regret it.

Also I saw on old style EHX MBS only a day or so ago either on evilbay or in non-US sales in TB....for only UK£100!

16. +1 to this. I've got a EHX Bass Micro Synth and it delivers the funk on tunes like flashlight. For the filter I've got a 3Leaf Groove Regulator which is sweet but I may be getting the new MXR Bass envelope filter when it's out because it's just so wet! I'd also suggest a good octave pedal just because it fits the whole vibe so well. Sometime I just leave the synth of and use the octave and filter for some thick funky tones. My whole bord with the exception of 1 pedal is geared in that direction.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021