Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will I get into trouble?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Mr. Engberg, May 2, 2005.

1. Hi...

One of my friends is going to NYC soon. Because of the string prices over there, I will ask him to take a few sets home for me, so I can try them out.

I've decided to buy: One set of Thomastik Superflexibles, one set of Thomastik Dominants and one set of Kolstein Heritage.

My Question is: Will I get any troubles with loose windings and cracked strings if I take them on and off my bass a few times?

I've read so much about the obligatos cracking and going dead after being restrung one or two times...

Mr. Engberg, Denmark. (The land of NHOP, RIP!)

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Superflexibles should be fine. You might notice the winding getting a little rough on The Dominants after one or two ups-and-downs. No experience with the Kolsteins as far as this goes.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I thought Tomastiks were made in Austria. Are they really cheaper here?

4. topbassman

topbassman Banned

Mar 3, 2005
    Most of these strings we're talking about are considered good for jazz and orchestral, correct?
    Does anybody have any insight as to what is the absolute best string for both idioms?

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Ah. The billion dollar question.

After countless dollars and messing around, I'll be going Spirocore Orch's for this purpose and concentrating on bettering my chops to get the job done...

Short of that, Dominants bow like a dream and are good pizz, if you like a darker and slightly 'guttier' sound. To gut-heads they sound like steel strings, but to steel string guys they sound guttier. FWIW.

The Superflexibles have gotten reviews that seem quite similar to Spiros, from what I've been able to tell. Perhaps a different, and maybe darker, sound, but still unforgiving with the bow and sound like cable-core steel strings -- sustain and growl.

Kolsteins seem to be much in league with the Obligatos, and much has been written here at TB about the Obligatos.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    http://www.thomastik-infeld.com/start/index.html

Yeah, they are made in Austria...I can't understand why it would be cheaper to buy them here...unless it's some insane EU string tax.

Sorry, I was joking. It just seems odd to me.

I have orchester weich on mein.

7. Oh yes, they are more expensive over here....

Just to make a comparison:
    Velvet Garbo is 360,- usd.
    Spirocores are 200,- usd.
    Superflexibles are 140,- usd
    Dominants are 185,- usd

And this is in germany where they have about 18 % tax. here in Denmark we have 25 % so its even more expensive :eek:

It seems like I've made the right choices regarding the strings.
    I wanted something similar to the spiros but not as sustainy: Superflexible. Then I wanted something like the Garbos: Dominants. And finally some hybrid string for the stick'o'pain: Heritage.

Is this way off? I haven't tried any of the strings before and my chioces are based on what I've read in here.

Mr. Engberg, Denmark. (The land of NHOP, RIP!)

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yikes. At those prices, I guess I'd be a Spiro guy over there, just for the long string life.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Those look like the equivalent retail prices, which no one ever pays. Have you checked with your local dealer for 'actual' prices?

10. Mr. Engberg's prices are typical for Europe, which is why I buy my strings from American shops.

11. Just thought I would do a follow-up!

I decided to order a set of Velvet Animas, a set of Dominants solo tuning and a Helicore med. pizz. D, for an old set I have. I haven't figured out how much I actually save, but it's alot. So much I don't really mind waiting a bit longer for them. :)

My teacher is flying over there to do a record and a few gigs, one at "The Dear Head Inn" and a few in New York. Go see him if you get the chance, they're called the "Mads Bærentzen trio feat. Tim Ries." (I think.) My teacher is staying at Chris Minh Dokys place. I ordered the strings from Quinn two days ago, I hope they will be there when he arrives so he can bring them home to me!

I just hope the strings work out well! I will do a follow-up again when I've played them for some time...

Thank you all for your advice!

Mr. Engberg, Denmark.