1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will I lose power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mickykelly91, Nov 29, 2010.

1. mickykelly91

mickykelly91

Nov 29, 2010
    Hey I've been trying to find a thread already asking this question, but none of them seem to be my exact situation. If I was to get a Warwick Profet 3.3, a 300 watt amp at 4 ohms, by getting a cab that outputs at 8 ohms, does this mean that I will lose half (or any) of the power coming from the head. I was going to get a 4 ohm cab just too make sure, but I'm wondering now just in case I decide to get a second cab in the future, so I'll only have to get a second cab rather than having to buy two brand new ones.

Answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Being a solid state head, you will have a wattage decrease from 4 to 8 ohm. However, that will not effect your volume much at all, given otherwise identical cabs.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, the power output from the amp will be reduced, but it won't matter, because the 8 ohm cab will handle the power it does get just fine, where the 4 ohm cab probably won't. Getting the 8 ohm cab is the smart choice, and if you need more volume, another identical 8 ohm cab is the solution. You WILL NOT get more volume from the single 4 ohm cab.

4. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    as mentioned, you will have less power in 8 ohm
    and if you get a 4 ohm now, you can't expend down the road
    so that's a balancing act

what is the cab in question?
    what kinda duty will this setup see?

5. mickykelly91

mickykelly91

Nov 29, 2010
    Well I was looking at the Warwick WCA411PRO which has 4 ohm and an 8 ohm version

http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_w411pro4_ohm.htm There's a good link

You seem to be contradicting each other, you're saying that i should get the same power out of the 8 ohm that I would out of the 4 ohm? The fact that I could add a second 8 ohm cab is always great, but it definitely won't be for another while due to the fact that I'm a student :/

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The output capability of a cab is determined by the driver displacement, not impedance. A four ohm cab has some advantage if your amp has less than half the power rating of the speaker. Otherwise get an 8 ohm cab.

7. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    all of us are saying that for an SS amp,
    8 ohm will give less power than 4 ohm
    but some of us meant to say that for a small cabinet like a 110 or 112
    8 ohm and 4 ohm will give you the same output in volume
    because the small cab cannot make use of the extra power in 4 ohm

in the case of a 410 cab paring with a 300w@4ohm amp
    I would definitely get the cab in 4 ohm
    that cab can take 300w easily

if you go 8 ohm, the amp will only put out 150-200w
    that little power into a modern 410 is a bit silly, IMO

OTOH, if you are going for a 210(s), then I would get them in 8ohm

8. fourstringburn

fourstringburn Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    more speakers=more sound, think ahead...if you plan to run two cabs, consider an 8 ohm for now.