1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will I lose volume? (Orange Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hallo, Aug 28, 2012.

1. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    I'm currently using an Orange Ad200b mk3 with two Ashdown cabs, a 115 (250w) and 210 (200w). My aim is too cut down on the current size but not in volume or quality hence I'll be purchasing an Orange obc115 rated at 400w. Will I notice much difference in volume achieved? I use a fair bit of gain so is there any chance that I may push the cab too much?

Cheers in advance.

2. Short answer is yes.............

By going to a single cab from your current setup, you are knocking your cone area in half which roughly translates to a loss of -3db

Even if you doubled your wattage to the new cab (which is doubtful it could make full use of the extra wattage) you would only break even.

Speaker area trumps increased wattage every time.

3. This depends on the sensitivity of the cabs. This information is tough to get out of commercial companies, so you will have to use you ears to tell. Is there any place you can get all the cabs together? Simply plug into the two you have and set the volume at a reasonable level. Then play. Then, with out changing any settings, put it on the other cab, and play. Which ever one is louder is the more sensitive set up.

All that said I would bet your current set up has more sensitivity than a single 115.

4. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    Cheers, although I barely go above 4 or 5 it shouldn't be too much of an issue?
    The question is should i stick with 2 entry level ashdowns cabs or go for one orange cab?

5. That depends, do you like the way the Orange cab sounds? If so go with it. Personally I find it to be over priced for what it is. It in no way is boutique out side of the cost.

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    The numbers on the dial are rarely representative of how much power you're truly using. To borrow some lingo from the car guys-there's no replacement for displacement. In this case it's speakers. I can't find any published sensitivity specs for the Orange cab so it's not really something we can compare the numbers on though.

If you want to maximize volume per watt of input, look at Barefaced Bass cabs and talk with Alex about what you're looking for. They're from the UK and one of the best smaller companies on the market.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It's been said here Orange uses an Emi. Kappa Pro in at least some of their 15's. Don't know if that's true or for what particular models.

If it is, it means sensitivity is decent, although not exceptional. Xmax (audibly pretty clean sound) isn't that great by todays standards but xlim (mechanical damage threshold) is way out there. It'd be pretty hard to kill one. I've no idea what they sound like when driven into distortion, which is what you'd be doing most of the time.

All in all, there is nothing special about an Orange cabinet. Their high price is all to do with brand prestige. They don't posses any performance qualities you couldn't get yourself building a simple 115 box in your garage.....probably for much less.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1 to this.^^

1/2 way up does not mean 1/2 power at all. With a strong input signal, it might reach full output by "3" on the dial. With a weak input signal, you might have to turn it up to "6" to get to the same place. Also +1 to Barefaced cabs. Something where the extra money actually buys you something beyond corksniffer approval.

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    I would go barefaced any day of the week. About the only thing the orange has going for it is the brand image... and the color. ;)

I'm sure people here like it and love the sound, and that is all fine and well, but it seems like too much money for too little speaker (re: volume).

10. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Wouldn't surprise me much if the orange cab is no louder than the Ashdown one alone. The Orange isn't an especially powerful head, so power handling thermal or mechanical is no big deal for cabs. I do know that a Kappalite loaded 1x15 will happily replace a Ashdown 15 and 2x10 combination, because I've done that. So a Barefaced Compact may well sort you. I use a Super 15 with fairly low powered valve amps (probably on a par with the Orange, or a little more depending on which head I air that day), and its enough headroom to carry any room up to the size the PA needs to take over.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Looks like the OP is from the UK..... I believe Orange is fairly inexpensive (relative to imported American cabs) across the pond. Orange might be the way to go. Why not a 410 or 2x 115 or 210 cabs?

I personally really like the sound of Orange cabs.... i just hate the high price in Canada.

12. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    Losing 3db is not really that much to lose, the orange cabs are sweet. It'll be fine.

13. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'm picking up my second orange obc115 cab tomorrow used, after waiting 16 months for a black one to come up on cl, one wasn't quite loud enough for the drone project, but it worked good for jamming in the house with my friends, the tone with the d180 is sweet imo also scott mcc

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    3db is defined as a relatively small, but noticable change in volume. In practice, it makes a bit bigger difference than "small but noticable". You gain a little more bottom, feeling of "heft" or "force" from the mutual coupling of more than 1 driver. It also gets a cab up closer to ear level, making it sound louder still.

If OP has a little more output than he really needs in his current rig, meaning he's as loud as he needs to be while his rig still has more to give, he might get away with a single 15. Playing "fairly loud" as he describes with little or no Pa help, I doubt it from all but the highest performance/sensitivity 15's.

15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    that orange is pretty cool, but have you lifted one lately? :eek:

+1 to doubting that it's twice as awesome as the ashdown 1x15.

16. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    Thanks for the replies, as stated I am based in the UK so it's not over priced like it is over the pond. With regards to weight I'll be getting it flight cased that has wheels so that should help. In the long run I'd probably look at getting 2 15's but can all afford one at the moment hence the original request with a couple of gigs coming up. If I do go for the orange (i'll look into the barefaced first) the question is which colour as my head is white but it's pretty impossible to get the cab in the same colour, so orange, black or blood red??

17. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Can get a silver grillcloth Barefaced, be closer match to white head.

Also, get in touch with Matmap and see if they can make you a cab, choice of colours, probably totally competitive with Orange cabs in every way.

18. hallo

hallo

May 1, 2007
    Staffs, UK
    Well i pull the trigger on the orange and got to use it with my orange head. Must say there wasn't much drop in volume, the cab sound great, a night tight rounded tone and completely blows the ashdown cabs out of the water. Managed to get it in the limited run of blood orange:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/86328276@N07/7906477716/