will i need anything else in my rack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Sep 3, 2003.

1. ok, i'm 1 step closer to completing my rig (it's the 2nd step by the way)

i have a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI pre-amp, and a gemini 1600 power amp. i just saw an SKB 3u rack case on ebay, and i was thinking of getting it (the RBI is 1U and the gemini is 2U).

i wont be wanting to add anything like a tuner or effects processor to the rack, but yesterday i heard that when you go for the pre/power amp route that you need to get some sorta compressor or something to the rack.

the cab will probably be a glockenklang double (2x12). are there any other things i will need to be adding to my rack to ensure i get the best possible sound from the rig? what sorta prices will i be looking at for them? any notable manufactures i should look into?

thanks for your help

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I run a Furman power conditioner/surge supressor in every rack rig (bass, pa, or recording) that I have built. I have also used a contractor-style 4-outlet surge supressor box instead of a rackmount, but I like those pull out lights on the Furman!

I'd get a 4-space anyhow so if you do decide to go with another 1sp device you won't be buying a new rack. I don't know about running a compressor with an RBI. I think that the SansAmp boxes sound kinda compressed as it is.

Good Luck, it sounds like you have the makings of a very nice rig.
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I don't know that you *need* anything else. You may want to consider a better quality power amp.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A compressor is not necessary, but I for one pretty much use it all the time (very subtle though).
    It can't hurt to have one or more spaces in reserve, but if the deal is good, buy it now and worry about it later (if at all). You could also use a 2nd dedicated fx rack later. So you can leave it at home or not without having to rip your rack apart.
  5. the thing i forgot to mention

i have a boss LMB-3 limiter/enhancer which i don't really use as it makes not major difference to my sound, would a rackmount one bassically be the same thing?

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - I run a SansAmp Bass Driver before it goes into my Aguilar Preamp and QSC power amp....I wouldn't run my sound any other way. The Aguilar + QSC, alone, just doesn't "get it."
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't know about the LMB3, but rack compressors are usually much better than pedals. I often use a compressor, but I don't need one. Whether you do or not is your call.

I also use a Furman PL-plus power conditioner in one of my racks. It has a line voltage meter which I've found useful.

Some players like rack mounted tuners, but I've found that a cheapo Korg chromatic works just fine for me.
  8. so... um... what does a power conditioner actually do? :meh:

9. Makes your power clean and shiny!!

Ok, I've used that one before...>Actuallly it protects from surges, some will regulate voltage, and a lot of them have pull-out lights.Did I cover it all fellas?
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Most of them also offer RFI and EMI filtering, taking some of the noise and 'dirt' out of the power line. Ever heard a trucker's CB through your rig???? Breaker 1-9!!!!
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :).. Once, but it was a taxi, not a trucker. I had a wireless unit and I swear his voice came through louder than my bass.

I don't think you need anything extra in that rack. I have however seen guys leave one rack space empty deliberately to allow the poweramp to ventilate. This isn't always necessary since most amps nowdays vent from front to back. Better check to be sure.
  12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Exactly what I was going to add. I never think having a power conditioner can be a bad thing.
  13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a power conditioner
    i use a furman pl pro
  14. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I noticed while searching for "rack case" on Ebay, that Gator makes a "powered rack" that has a built in power conditioner. Seemed like a cool idea.

If your rack has front AND rear rails, you may be able to mount shallow components back to back. My 4 space rack contains an amp (2 spaces) a preamp (1 space) and a compressor (1 space) in the front. In the back I was able to mount a power conditioner and an equalizer (each 1 space). So I got 5 components in a 4-space rack. Only weighs 72 lbs, heh-heh.
  15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Most power conditioners are really just glorified power strips. A regulator will actually regulate the voltage to a constant 120 or 117 or whatever it's rated at, but they are alot more expensive. As far as getting a radio signal through your amp I doubt the power source had anything to do with it. Most likely it was a bad cable or something in the amp.

The sansamp has a decent amount of compression built in as part of their tube emulation. If the rig sounds good to you I wouldn't worry about adding a compressor.
  16. this is enough to have me interested! :D

i hate having cables running about everywhere, i'll have to look into them a bit more now