1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will I need to get my nut filed?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by avenger7326, Apr 30, 2009.

1. I have an Ibanez GSR200FM and I want to change the strings for the first time from the factory strings. The factory string gauges are .045, .065, .080, .100. If I get a set with gauges 45, 65, 85, 105 will the nut for my E and A string need to be filed or do you think the extra .05 really make a difference on the nut? I'm a new bassist so thanks.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would try it without filing first. See if the strings move freely through the nut while tuning the new strings up. If not, file them. My best advice is to have a tech do it though. That's probably one of the top 5 easiest things to mess up on a bass.

P.S. Welcome aboard!!!

3. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    no

the nut of a production bass will be ready for standard sizes. If you buy a thicker set, just make sure that the string sits at the bottom of the nut. If there is a problem deal with it then, but I don't think that you will have a problem as nuts aren't cut that precise