Will I notice a difference w/ RAM upgrade?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Dec 29, 2002.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Best Buy has a really good deal on 256 MB of RAM this week. I currently have 256 MB of SyncDRAM in my 1.0 GHz, 20 GB hard drive computer. Will adding another 256 Megs of RAM affect the performance significantly? I use my computer primarily for Internet browsing and Microsoft Office applications. Thanks!
  2. It should run significantly faster. I had a 350mhz computer running 128mb and I added 256mb and it cut down loading times for everything. I figure adding RAM up to 512mb is always good.
  3. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    If you use one program at a time, you probably won't notice any difference. If you're like me and you have Photoshop, Winamp, IE, Outlook, Kazaa, Soundforge, and AIM open almost all the time, you'll definitely notice a performance boost. The more RAM you have, the less that the Hard Drive has to pick up the slack with the swap file.
  4. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Well, if you are using that PC only for the things you said you were it shouldn’t be all that slow now, unless you have lots of programs running or you are a 3d gamer. Because you’re not rendering graphics or playing 3d games you aren’t using all that much power. But you may notice a small increase in performance.

Although you aren’t going to gain all that much performance I strongly recommend the upgrade, especially since it’s at a good price. I say this because software is always growing more and more powerful, taking up more system resources.

It’s always good to be prepared for the future. :)
  5. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Thanks for all the input, guys!:)
  6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Also, RAM is an investiment for the future. New OS's and programs use more and more of RAM, for example WinXP can have bit long program start times etc. with only 256MB.

So yes, it will make your computer faster - if not now, then in the future.
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yes.. get more RAM... I am running xp pro on my P4 2.5ghz comp with 512MB and sometimes it still gets alittle slow on me... i think i am going to add another 512MB stick in there.. I think that will solve some of my worries then