1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will I really hear the difference in tone rmx2450 vs CA6??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by otherclef, Aug 6, 2012.

1. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    I know Crest is considered one of the best, but is QSC considered in the ball park?
    If I could get some info/advice from guys that have been running these it would be great?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    To *my* ears, a poweramp is a poweramp. Tone is affected much more by the bass, and preamp, speakers even. A good poweramp should do nothing more than amplify whatever it's fed by the pre.

3. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    I guess Crest got a rep by being transparent...
    I'm asking if QSC RMX line ( which is similar to CA line in specs ) is as transparent.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yeah, QSC is among the top in the industry. You shouldn't hear any tone difference. Differences in poweramps can be heard when they're made to work at or near their limits and for long periods of time, that's where the differences come through. Maintaining full clear sound at high output and reliability over the long haul. QSC is has it when it comes to that stuff.

I have an old MX700 I won't get rid of for those reasons even though there's plenty of stuff out there that should be able to do the same thing and be smaller/lighter, etc. Especially the reliability, but also good strong sound that doesn't alter the sound it's being fed.

It used to be part of a rack bass rig. Now it's in my PA rack.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I can speak with some authority as I have two racks, one with a QSC RMX 2450, the other with a CA-6. I swap out pre's on both and hear no discernible changes in tone quality or output. For that fact, our PA rack uses 3 RMX's. I don't recall paying more than $200 for any of them.

Riis