1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will I regret...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ProbablyTooLoud, Aug 1, 2020 at 3:00 PM.

1. ...trading in an early 90s GK RB400II toward a new GK MB212II?

pcake, MCF and BassmanPaul like this.
  2. Welcome to TalkBass.

No... Do it!

I love spending other peoples money. :cigar:

3. Haha! Weird old guys like me think there's something magic about 30 year old electronics and 100lb cabs. Hard to let go.

4. And thanks for the welcome. Figuring out how to communicate here after lurking for months.

5. I'd keep the head, get a good light cab.

murphy, sludgetail and smogg like this.
  6. Yeah. Hard to resist that combo. People talk it up. Is there anything wrong with using an old amp and a new cab?

MCF likes this.
  7. Nope.

As long as the impedance of the cab or cabs together are within the safe range of the amp, all is good.

smogg and ProbablyTooLoud like this.
  8. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    The mb212II is probably the best combo amp being made at the moment. I recently sold mine, as I didn't have a need for that much power, or portability, and I bought a bucket list bass. It was an incredible combo amp. I leave an amp at church and use it now, and have another that stays home. If I ever play out, I will miss the GK, and likely look for another.

It will sound different from an RB series amp, so try before you buy. But they both do the same, amazing, clean GK tone.

ProbablyTooLoud and S-Bigbottom like this.
  9. Thanks. I'm not joking about letting go of the old paradigm. I roadied a lot for friends' bands in the mid- to-late 80s around the southeast and the most reliable rigs were GKs with Peavey cabs, even compared to all the fancy stuff the national touring acts used. Maybe I should hold on to the old head, wait for great deal on a cab, and in the meantime just go for this open box deal I'm seeing on the MB212II. (Still getting used to quoting what I'm replying to. Patience please).

10. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Not me, I have 30 lb. cabs:smug: and you’ll probably regret it, this GK was with me from brand new until 2016, just recently bought it back, it isn’t leaving me again.. 6F9274F1-6DBE-4B68-9C3C-55D90AF0D359.jpeg

11. Sweet that's a 15 under there?

12. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    No.

13. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Yes.

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just the head or is it the combo version of the RB400?

I've played through both v1 (Chinese) and V2 (US) versions of the MB combos and personally, I would prefer the RB.

wmhill and ProbablyTooLoud like this.
  15. This is my current head.
    20200801_141251.jpg
    It's a 90s Series II.

The combo I might trade that head toward, or sell to defray the cost of, is the second generation, US version.

sludgetail likes this.
  16. A seller here on TB has a 2019 MB212II for $650 including shipping.

17. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Nothing at all wrong with it. One is a power source with preamp, the other is the box louder than "hell" on a weekend. Just make sure you match it up regarding the ohms.

ProbablyTooLoud likes this.
  18. sludgetail

sludgetail Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    Along with the Mesa D800+, I also at times run the GK 1001RB-II with the Mesa Subway 215 and it is nothing short of fat slumpy chest slammin’ magic, so definitely not. The 400 is not a heavy head (to me) and has a lot of character, I think rodl2005 has the right idea, especially if you love the head and the tone. New cabs these days if engineered properly are insanely light (the 215 I have is 60lbs with rockers, rails and back wheels) and produce a lot of thump. Save your back and preserve the tone you love I say.

That said, the new GK offerings are out and I haven’t played them, many love them. And they’ve announced new versions/tributes/answers to the 1001RB/2001rb and Fusion 550 series amps in analog format coming out next year so hold tight if you love the tone and grab a nice cab.

Edit: and Ps - welcome to the forum

19. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Yep, you'd be trading towards a GK which I personally don't like...;)

Jokes! I don't like em but do what makes you happy.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Would I make the trade? Nah. I don't think you'll get enough with a 400RB to make the trade worth it. Plus it's kind of a classic at this point.