Will I, won't I?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mwlaurenson, Dec 12, 2005.

1. mwlaurenson

mwlaurenson Guest

Feb 5, 2001
    I've been thinking once more about trying a set of TI Jazz flats - this time for my NEW fretless, an Aria SB special ii (IT SOUNDS LIKE THE DEVIL :smug: )

Now I know I will like the TI tone as I've heard clips and have played other flats on a bass in the shop,

But the question is this, will I miss that roundwound ZING?
  2. You will miss the roundwound zing but you will also love the warm lows and honky ruber like mids and i mean honky in a good way! Some of the best and most vibey tones i have recorded were with flatwounds.
  3. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I play Rotosound roundwounds on both my fretted and fretless bass, and can't say that I would describe the tone I get out of my fretless to be zingy. I just don't think I'd like the way flats feel.
  4. mwlaurenson

mwlaurenson Guest

Feb 5, 2001
    I think you are probably spot on, I would miss the roundwound zing, but gain a new sound i like as well. If only i could have one of each...

One question though, how do the flats sound with the bridge pick up soloed? Does it still give a little of the bark you get with rounds or are they only good for the full on bassy thump sound?

Thanks for putting up with my questions!
  5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    TI Flats have plenty of mids, it is just that you don't get that "new roundwound" sound from them. When they are new they have plenty of high end. Give them a chance if you do try them. I read about cases where folks take them off the bass after 5 minutes. :rollno:
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    TIs are not nearly as thumpy as some other flatwounds out there. They are distinctly flatwound, but offer a little more sustain and articulation than what you may be thinking of as the more traditional flatwound sound. And, they can be pretty bright.

I have them on my fretless. They are the perfect fretless strings IMO.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Actually, if you like roundwound zing but want a flat feel, I think Jazz Flats are what the doctor ordered. No, they don't sound exactly like roundwounds, but a lot of people don't realize that under the flat wrapping is a roundwound string. I gave away my Jazz Flats because I hated that zing in a flat, and after three months of steady use, it was still there.
  8. mwlaurenson

mwlaurenson Guest

Feb 5, 2001
    You gave them away?! You should have given them to me!
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The guy I gave them to gave me an EMG pickup 6 months before. I thought it was only fair.
  10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

That's pretty dumb. :scowl:

I refuse to play any other string. :bassist:
  11. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I have a set of TI flats that have aged nicely on a 61 jazz bass. I still have rounds on my other two basses. I would not want to have TI flats on my only bass, but if I have an arsenal, one needs to have TI flats.

I just played some Christmas music at the church with the 61 Jazz and TI flats. Great tone for that sort of thing. And they do classic rock real nice too.