1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will it be enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cuddlemonster, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Right now I'm running an Ashdown MAG 300 watt head through a 4 ohm Behringer 4x10. Playing with a super trebly Fender Twin Reverb and a drummer, this is more than loud enough at about 1/3 it's volume.

However, the Behringer sounds like butt and I would really like a new cab. I'm looking into the Avatar 2x12 cabinet because of the cheap cost and apparent quality, but I want to eventually add a 1x15 once I can afford it.

Will the Avatar and my head be loud enough at 8 Ohms? or should I hold off until I can afford both at once.

If there are any other options please clue me in. The only thing I'm really looking for is a cheap but good quality cab that will be plenty loud and clear down to the B, without being too huge or heavy.

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so wordy!

2. Would you need to sell the Behringer to get the Avatar? If not, get the 2x12, if it isn't loud enough in a band context, then continue to use the Behringer, keep saving, and eventually by the 1x15.

I think the 2x12 should work, but I couldn't say for sure.

3. I won't be selling the Behringer, the grill is painted bright pink and one of the speakers is torn, so unless someone needs a low quality, super heavy box I doubt I'll get any money for it.

4. I bet a 2x12 in 4 ohms would work since your guitarist isn't competing with you (super trebly).

in 8 ohms I bet you would be running it at full volume just to keep up (and not very well)... unless your drummer and guitarist aren't loud.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    No wonder.

My suggestion would be to replace the torn speaker in the Behringer, rewire ithe cab for 8ohms and use it with the 8 ohm Avatar 2x12 until you get the 1x15. Maybe with the Behringer working with 4 good speakers will sound okay with the Avatar.

6. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    ....re: "the grill is painted bright pink and one of the speakers is torn"

Until you can get another speaker cabinet, what I would do is repair the speaker cone (speaker glue is $8) and see if you remove the pink paint on the grill. Also try different EQ settings - maybe you can get it to sound a little better.

7. Believe me, I've done a lot to try and get a good sound out of that cabinet. It will come close to OK but nothing better.

hmm.. since the Behringer is 4 ohms now, would that mean that with only two of the speakers it would be 8? Because the ashdown head I'm using now came out of a combo with 2 blown speakers, so maybe the combo with the Behringer speakers+the Avatar= 8Ohms?

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

8. either way, neo speaker prices are going up soon so I would act on the avatar.

if you're playing with a drummer and a trebly guitar, you could probably get away with a combo amp if you really had to, since alot of bass frequencies are probably missing from your mix (I don't know first hand, of course)

The avatar will probably sound louder than the behr, too, because it's better built and a touch more sensitive.

9. That sounds right, IIRC, if behr used 16 ohm speaker in building the cab, it would be running at 8 ohms with 2 of them completely removed (wires, xovers, et all)

However, running two 8 ohm cabs would give you a 4 ohm load, so with the 2 speaker behr and an 8 ohm avatar, you're running four ohms, which is totally stable for the ashdown.

also, going with a 4 ohm avatar would give you 2.67 ohms, and if you used the fully loaded behr, you'd be running 2 ohms, which are probably both a little bit much for your amp.

Let someone confirm this before you take my word for it, though, I'm just getting into impedence in my audio production class...

10. I think what I'm going to do is take apart the Combo and see if it was wired for 4 or 8 ohms, and that will determine how I go about the rest of it. If i can put the Behringer speakers in it to make it 8 that would be perfect, and then I can just get the 8 Ohm avatar and use the two together until I get the 1x15.

Before i knew anything about speakers and all that I ran the combo and the cabinet together, so either way it was <4ohms, but I never had a problem with the amp. I don't think I'd chance it again now though.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Either two 4 ohm speakers wired in series or two 16 ohm speakers wired parallel will get you 8 ohms.

If you have four 8 ohm speakers in the Behringer, they can be wired series-parallel to get 8 ohms.