Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

will it be good ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Asaf, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    hi everybody,

i have a warwick replica which i sanded and gave it to the local luthier to give it a polyurethane finish.

now i want to upgrade the pickups and my options are emg-40 shape soapbars.

i have 2 other basses which are great (pedulla pentabuzz and a jazzbass 50th anni.) they both give me different sounds and im happy with them, for this bass i want something else with the sound.

i decided to go with a m4 bartolini soapbars cause im not much of an emg fan, but my problem is the i can't afford a preamp so they will have to work passive.
    the pickups are dual coil...

anyway : how will it sound ? will it be good for slap ? fingerstyle ?

i don't have places to check them out (cause i live in israel).

thanks.

2. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    come on...

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nobody knows. Here's why:

1. You're talking about a REPLICA here. How many people do you think have played this replica that might know how it sounds?

2. You didn't specify what woods the bass is made of, which greatly affects tone. Body wood, fingerboard type, any stringers, etc.

3. Very few people use Bartolini's run passive without a preamp. There's a reason why . . .

This sounds like a project of trial and error. Give it a shot and let US know what it sounds like.

4. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    ok...sorry for asking:confused:

the sound is a classic warwick sound (much like dominique di piazza has).
    the replica has a brazilian oak body and neck (which is similar to ash), the fingerboard is bolivian rosewood.

about being an error project...well...the original pickups sounded ok allthough they we're poorly built and i wanted to make this bass sound good.
    as for replacements i dont have a variety of options so i decided to go with the barts. cause i know them and i won't spend 75$ on emg-hz or kent armstrong when i can buy a bart for 90$ and later on get a normal preamp.

anyway man...im sorry for bothering you.