Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will it cut through? Need some opinions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Alright,

So the quest is ever continuing...

I bought a stingray, but after jamming and band practice, it's not cutting throguh like I expected...so because of a little thing called return policies, I have a chance to do what I please at this point.

The next thing I am looking at is the warwick corvette proline 4 with MEC gold J-style P-ups and a 2 band active pre/EQ...

My main complaint about teh stingray was that it was just getting lost in the background. It sounded quite thin and it's only real presence was in the lows...I used to play an active Jazz (MIM) bass and I had no problems cutting throguh with that...I liked it, but I want something of higher quality, a bit nicer tone, and better playability...

I used to give the jazz a bit of a low boost because it seemed a tiny bit sub-par in lows, then I would boost the low mids a little on my amp (the frown EQ) and would have the pickup blender right in the middle...I really didn't have any problems cutting through in any range...

Now, I love the look, feel and sound of the warwick, but I felt the same about the stingray...it's just that one sound you love may not cut through as well as another sound that you love. So do you think the corvette will cut throguh and have a bit more presence in the mix over the ray? Do you think I could aquire the presence and cut of my old jazz with the slicker-sounding Warwick bark?

Any other suggestions??

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've played the warwick corvettes and thumbs (fretted and fretless), and I tend to think that they have a thicker overall tone than Stingrays. I have never been terribly impressed with Stingrays myself. I would give the Warwick a chance- just make sure you give the mids a 50% boost or so to really get through. Warwicks don't have KILLER bite, but it should do the job. I do love their fretless tone though!

If it doesn't work out, you could try a Euro Spector. I have the weakest amp in the band (drummer has electronic drums), and I have no problem pounding through and burying the guitar when I want to. I know I plug Spector a lot, but the fact that they cut through great is one of their major highlights.