1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will it fit my car?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Silas Martinez, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Silas Martinez

Silas Martinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Denver, CO
    This is a bit of a long shot.

I searched, but couldn't find a related thread. I'm really interested in the 'fridge sound, and strongly thinking about getting a NV610 - but I don't know if it would fit in my car.

I'm driving an 05 chevy malibu, which isn't a small car, but my ashdown mag 210 is a little bit of a struggle to fit, and seems to be comparatively smaller.

Getting a larger vehicle is not an option at this point. I've considered a trailer (as mentioned in another thread) but am unsure about the expense.

Thanks for any advice!

2. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    measure up

3. Dunno whether this'll help..... My NV610 (as it is not that thick) EASILY fits across the back seat of my wife's Volvo 244 or sumthin- just a '88 4cyl sedan. Fits EZ & without a struggle. MY old SVT410HLF used to fit too, but It WAS a huge struggle(so thick) & it was very tight. & heavier than the NV610. Measure up & BUY ONE!

4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The nv610 is somewhat narrow. Also do your back seat fold down at all?

5. Silas Martinez

Silas Martinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yep, the back seats fold down. So does the passenger front seat for that matter.

Thanks for the input thus far.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My roommate just got a new Malibu, and he tells me that he believes that he can fit an 8x10 in it without problem.

7. Silas Martinez

Silas Martinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Denver, CO
    That may be the malibu maxx, which is a sort of hatchback version.

I doubt I could fit an 8x10 in this. Wish I could, though. I'm looking for a more worthy pairing to my Bass 400+. The 115, 210 thing just isn't giving the sound in my head.

8. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    There you have it... :eek: (impressive!)

9. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    ... mock up a box the same size as the NV610 in cardboard before you buy.

When I've done this in the past, it's helped me avoid disappointment - just make sure you don't squeeze the cardboard mock-up out of square when you place it in your car. FWIW, I usually build a mock-up at least half-an-inch larger than the stated dimensions of the cab, just to be sure.

Good luck!

10. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Cars are easier to find than NV610s are. You can always change cars.

11. i put my pr410hlf in a focus when i first got it and that thing is harder to put places than a nv610

12. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I can fit my vintage Traynor 215 in the back of 85 Diplomat, I've also fit my friends 810 in the back as well.

Peace

-Benny

13. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    i fit an NV610 and a mesa 400 in a 4space mesa shockrack in the backseat of a 1997 camry, with the P and jazz ridin shotgun, and the NV215 in the trunk. big sound that fits anywhere those NV's...

14. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    Seriously, ditch the Malibu. There are way too many bass cab-friendly hatchbacks out there to be messing around with that POS.

Just as an example, the two hatchbacks I own (an 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo and a 1991 Nissan 240SX) can easily transport a 6x10. I bet I could fit an 8x10 in the Mirage....maybe even the 240SX, if the cab wasn't too deep. Either one of those cars can be found for under $2000 in great shape and get decent gas mileage.

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    When I moved to Seattle in the late 90's, I had to sell off my full-size Dodge Ram to be able to afford the move. All that left me was an '88 Honda Accord 4door, and my Mesa 2x15 cab fit in the back seat. The Bass 400 head and three bass cases fit in the trunk, clothes stuffed anywhere there was space. :eek:

Before that, I had also fit that Mesa 2x15 cab in the backseat of a '68 Mustang and a Geo Metro. But I don't have the back for doing that anymore. I'm back to pickup trucks...they're the best gig rig.

16. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    i have been known to remove the passenger front seat in my sports cars to accomodate the big cabs. ...

especially in my nissan 350z i had. out with the seat, in with the bergy ht322a !!!!!!

lol once i met a hottie at a gig took her home in the hatch back, cuz the cabinet was in the "seat slot" next to me and 350;s have no rear seats!!!!

luckily for me i like em tiny and thin ! she fit in the damn hatch! lmfao !!!!!!!!!!

17. lol!!!!:D :D :D
    I like 'em BIIIG!!!!!!! -then they can carry the gear!!!:bag:

18. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    The cardboard box idea is a great idea.

Also, I had a car once where I "stretched" the door hinge to help put in a cabinet that was too big.
    It didn't seem to hurt anything, and the door would open about an inch wider.

19. My SVT810 used to just *barely* fit in the back seat of my '95 Civic sedan. I still can't believe I even tried it in the first place.

I think that the Berg, being quite a bit smaller, would be a much easier fit.

Ken

20. Silas Martinez

Silas Martinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Wow. Lots of feedback. I think I'll start with the cardboard box idea, and if I can make it fit, I'm going to start selling some of my other stuff to pick up the bergie.

Thanks again, guys!