1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will It Fry? Cabs and Amp Wattage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sgurd, Apr 7, 2006.

1. sgurd

sgurd

Apr 7, 2006
    Hiya all,

Lately I've been looking for a decent gigging rig, and have given a GK 1001Rb-MkII and an Ampeg SVT 410HLF a thought.

As the 1001 puts out 700 w @ 4 ohms, and the 410HLF is rated 400 W @ 4 ohms, is there a significant risk to fry the cab? I also tested the 700RB-MKII, which puts out 480W @ 4 ohms. I think I'd like the extra headroom and thump the extra watts give (I tested the 700 with a 15" 8 ohm Ampeg cab), but would the 700 be a safer choice with the 410HLF?

2. I don't think it poses a significant risk to run the GK into the 410HLF.

Headroom is nice to have, just make sure you don't drive the amp too hard because if you start running a clipped signal you will risk damaging the cab. If things sound distorted, turn down.

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    700 watts of amp will not fry the cabinet......unless you have no ears and crank it until it sounds like a boom box on 12......

Usually, you can run up to about 3x the cabinet rating ("rms" rating") without trouble. It's hard to get up to, let alone past, about 1/3 power for any time and still have musical sound......

With any ported cabinet, and that is one, you can give it too much super low boost and get flapping and "farting" from it. But super low end isn't generally very musically useful, so that shouldn't be an issue.

A 1200W amp, can be used with it, as long as you don't demand super lows.