Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will it work?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dooft11, Oct 21, 2005.

1. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    :rolleyes: Brought a jazz body from JJ for a project fretless and looking forward to work with TBer Timothy on some jazz modification project. Both will involved a battery route for the standard passive jazz package. I am just thinking, instead of a standard 9v boxy battery, can i use 4 AAA sized battery to make up the voltage? and mA? for sure the AAA size with allow more flexibility when i can lay them flat in the existing control route....well... just a quick thought and try to invite some brainstorm or opinions..

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Won't 4 only give you 6 volts?

I just read somewhere, wish I could remember where, that using AA or AAA to get 9 volts will have a fraction of the battery life as a 9 volt.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If AA or AAA batteries workd as well as 9v's, everybody would use them.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Actually they work just as well and last longer. They also take thrice the same room and cost more to produce and replace.
    Also, 6 batteries instead of one is 5 more chances to get one leaking.

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I just did a bit of searching and it looks like Jazz Ad is right, the AA's should give more time than a 9 volt.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well then I guess they don't work as well, do they?
    :spit:

7. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    After a nice weekend break, i finally got my brain working. 1.5x4 = "6"... oops sorry, wrong cal.
    but i find that even 6 small battery can be housed in the existing route. Anyway i will try it out with some more test.
    Thanks Guys... I jsut try to explore some idea. thanks for all your input. :hyper:

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Accus in my Lightwave equiped JAF reconciliated me with active electronics.
    They're so much more practical than batteries.

9. WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!

I'm going for an 18V system powered by D-cells...yep, a dozen D-cells oughtta do...don't ya think? :confused: