Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Jazz Flats mean nut job?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KingOfAmps, May 23, 2001.

1. I'm gonna install for the first time a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats on my Fender. Has anyone found it necessary to widen the nut grooves to accomodate this brand? My bass came set-up to accomodate 45-105 roundwounds and the Jazz Flats are 43-100 but I've heard they are different cuz their "Jazz Flats".

2. I never had a problem installing mine.

3. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Don't think you should have any problem here.

4. I've got a set of Jazz Flats on my Reverend, and everything is cool except the A string.. it's definitely sitting a bit low in the slot. That's the big difference in gauge among those 4 strings.. .70 is pretty skinny for an A. But, it's easily solved with a little shim in the nut slot.

5. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    No problems on 2 different Fenders with the TI flats.

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    NUT JOB!!!:eek:
    I don't think the strings will make you nuts. Nor will you need to get a nut job!! I handle my nuts myself and only allow trusted souls to assist. Well that may not be totally true. I am kind of promiscuous. Must be all the rock and roll music that made me that way.;)