Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Kelly's Single Be a Hit?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Boplicity, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The fans have voted in massive numbers, fifteen million or so, and Kelly Clarkson is the first annointed "American Idol."

Plans are for her to release her first single by Sept 12, a song that she tearfully sang at the end of last night's finale.

Problem is, in my estimation, the song is totally lame. Poor Kelly is being saddled with a mundane, sugar pop ballad with no discernable hook or any memorable quality or meaningful lyrics. That she made the song tolerable at all is a tribute to her talent, but can even she make this forgettable song a hit?

I suppose if just one tenth of the folks who voted for her, buy the CD, she will have a bona fide hit, but why would they buy it? I want to hear her sing songs that are worthy of her rich and expressive voice. She is being wasted on this unremarkable song.

Maybe...just maybe... this song will get airplay on VH-1, but I can't imagine it would be well received on MTV, unless some genius can create a killer video and do some work to add interest to the song. What do you folks think?

2. Well, from what I've read, and what other people have said, it seems the whole thing is just an exercise in Marketing. I think, on the whole, the public gets the entertainment (and the politicians) it deserves...

- Wil

PS - I don't watch TV*, so I haven't heard the "hit song", but I've no reason to believe that it will be any different from the other garbage which passes for entertainment nowadays...

*because I'm always too busy doing other things

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    im with wil on this

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I agree with the curmudgeon.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Can you say VH-1's Bands On The Run? Whatever happen to Flickerstick? They got some airplay, and then silently went away. I think when you get hooked up via these "contests", no one really takes you seriously as an artist. JMO.

6. i'm an american. it has been decided that she is my idol. therefore i must buy it.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Dancehallclasher: Look AWAY from the light! You can fight this! Be strong!

8. FWIW, the single released by the winner of the British version went straight to number one on the charts.

9. I STILL think she looks like Reese Witherspoon.

Rock on
    Eric

10. Well, to me that means The Marketing is doing its job...

- Wil

PS: I occasionally listen to "The UK Top 20" show on the good old Beeb Woild Soivice programme on my short-wave wireless, and believe you me, going straight to number one really is no criterion by which to judge the quality of a piece of music...

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i, too, am with wil.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    while i agree that ultimately there was very little music-related happenings going on with that whole "idol" fiasco, nominally this topic is still music related, so off to miscellaneous it goes. :)

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    the whole thing is obnoxious! The industry is saying 'hi, we are going to take all the behind the scenes bull**** and out it on TV, and you cows are still going to like it!" Get in line and have your credit cards ready b!*ches.

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yes.. wait.. no... uhmm

what wil said

15. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I'm glad to see this thread my bruthas. For the few moments I surfed by this show they were singing some cheesy Captain and Tenillish type song and I did not get it and wondered if I was the lone dissenter.

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Which begs the question...who did get it? Fifteen million voters chose the winner. Even setting aside programmed mass computer call ins, a lot of people dug this show, but who were they?

My 83 year old mother loved the show, but she would never call in to vote. That leaves me wondering who watched, because I can't imagine young males watched, being as the music was decidedly pop in orienation, no hip hop, punk or metal.

The guy contestants were N'Sync clones, not even that good. Not one of the guy contestants would have any appeal to young males, so if any male adolescents watched, it must have been for the Ryan, Tamrya, Christina, Nikki, and Kelly.

All that said, none of the music would appeal to a teenage audience, so who watched? That question has me puzzled. I think a lot of people watched it as a quilty pleasure who would never admit out loud they watched such claptrap.