1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will late model basses be valuable in 25 years?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bottom Feeder, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Just like it says. I know that typically, items like automobiles need 25 years of maturity to become "vintage". Will a new 2007 American Jazz become a sought after model in 2033? Certainly I can believe an original '62 would be valuable. How about a 2007 '62 reissue?

What is it? The materials? The tones? The dwindling supply of basses as time takes its toll and old ones get thrashed and trashed?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Doubt it. Early Fenders are valuable because people think the quality was better back then. I believe it may have been, but remember there was always a fair share of bad basses back then. They have just been weeded out over the years. The ones that surface today are the ones that have been loved and played for three decades, most likely because they are a good instrument.

3. ^ +1 . The fact that the earlier basses kinda set out definition for many decades to come would in my books make them more 'collectable' and worth something due to the history. Also, as many of basses had strong links to legendary players or generally popular bands that people wanted to 'replicate' the sound of or merely just use the same tool as their idol this would provoke them to achieve higher prices. I suppose this will continue aslong as bass players continue to inspire but i don't think it will be to the same extent.

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I think a lot of the vintage stuff is over-hyped. I mean, look at old pre-Ernie Ball Music Mans. They go for insane prices on eBay, despite the fact that the current Ernie Ball Music Man basses have more features, and are of higher quality.

Graeme

5. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    You know, it in 1970 everybody wanted a pre-cbs bass and now stuff from the seventies is revered (mostly because of marcus miller and larry graham.)

I wouldnt be surprised if American guitars appreciated a little bit in the next 30 years. I WOULD be surprised if the japanese ones didnt- the Japanese models are killer and older japanese stuff always stays up in value.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It really depends on the luck of the draw. I remember buying a beautiful natural finish, maple fingerboard, Pre-Ernie Ball Stingray for $250 in 1986. Two or three years later, Flea got big, and those basses were soon worth $2,000. If a few innovative and influential bassists start playing, say 1980's Yamaha BB's or older inline Fender Five strings, then their prices will escalate too.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It greatly depends on the bass or model of bass.
    A late model can and probably will be more valuable in 25yrs if it's a very limited number made, or the first of it's kind that has success after being created. But it also probably should had somekind of popularity or demand, and company buy-outs also tend to escilate the prices of the original era basses.

A regular American Standard Jazz, will probably only depreciate to a point and stay there, but probably won't really go up. The vintage desired market will still have thousands and thousands of 60s/70s/early 80's basses from several builders that people will be focused over.
    But right now, there are so many more bass manufacturers than 20-30 yrs ago, so basses are gonna have to really stand out as desireable, or rare and valuable in 25 yrs. I know there will be some.

8. Makes me wonder where Hofner would be if it weren't for Paul McCartney...

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Hofner would be like Eko or Hagstrom if not for McCartney.