Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Lee playing a Music Man Bongo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tightbidness, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Will Lee is playing a black Music Man Bongo 5 tonight on David Letterman. Gail Ann Dorsey, Pino Palladino, and now Uncle Will. Pretty cool.

2. MAN!!!!! I NEED ONE OF THESE!!!!! Black with dual HUMBUCKERS!!!!

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Don't forget Dave LaRue, and Tony Levin....

Not bad company to be in, eh?

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Makes you think about the quality of the Bongo doesn't it, I doubt many other production basses could stray a Sadowsky user.

I need to find on of these in the UK to play.

5. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Kind of brings me back to my days at Steinberger. Everyone thought those were pretty weird until the "big guns" suddenly began snatching them up in droves. All of a sudden, they weren't quite so bad anymore. :) We're getting lots of orders for them so I'd say that, once again, MM is doing something right. :hyper:

6. Uh, although the Bongo's looks have kinda grown on me, I still think Steingergers are the ugliest, un-sexiest musical instruments of all creation. Hard to believe it's the same guy who created the ultra-sexy Spector shape.

7. Played a Bongo at Musiclive, and it was VERY good. Still not too keen on the looks, but it played nice and sounded great(even through a headphone amp!)

8. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Speaking of "sexiest", your avatar ranks high on my list of sexy pics. ARK!!! :)

9. LOL! Thanks.

10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The Bongo's looks are growing on me, too. However, I find the fact that my all-carbon-fiber Steinberger XL-2 NEVER needs maintenance, has had a perfect neck since I bought it in '88, and is virtually indestructable VERY sexy! :)

The XP series, and the ones with the standard body, though, look lame to me. I think the XL series basses look cool.

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    How do the Bongos balance? Don't they slide off your lap?

12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :confused:

No more than any other bass would slide off your lap.

I find that the Bongo balances better than most other basses I've played. On a strap, it hangs perfectly.