Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Lee plays a violin Hofner bass??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nicklas, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Nicklas

Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    Just rented the movie Concert for New York from 2001 and there Will plays a Hofner Bass to the song Let it be........but on lettermans i have never seen him play a hofner bass.

Why did he play it in New York??

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Because the director told him to....I suppose. ;)

3. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    He brought it along hoping he'd get a chance to play with "the man", and he did

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Why not??? He was playing a Beatles tune on a 'Beatle' bass. As far as I know, he's not married to Sadowsky (though I can't think of Uncle Will or Sadowsky without picturing the other)....

He does still play Sadowsky, right? It's been almost 8 years since I ditched TV, so I never see Letterman anymore.

5. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Actually, Will has an amazing Beatles tribute band called the Fab Faux. Do a search and check out their website. He uses the Hofner bass alot for that gig.

Will mostly plays Sadowsky basses. Will and Marcus Miller are among Roger's earliest clients, going back to his repair days.

6. Nicklas

Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    Can it have been Pauls Hofner bass he played with??

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I doubt it. He owns his own.
    [​IMG]
    Fab Faux

Plus Paul is a lefty

8. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
  9. Nicklas

Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    Is Will as good as Paul?........Really cant understand what a great musican does on a show like Lettermans....

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    First, they are both ARTISTS and being ones who perform ART, any measure of 'Good'ness is subjective.

Will Lee is a working musician... he's held a long standing day gig on Letterman. If you check his history he's a very accomplished NYC studio guy as well. Personally I'd kill to have his day gig... easy daily money, different daily musical guests, different daily tunes!
    :bassist:

11. I was thinking what Craig said, he's in a Beatles tribute band, so it's just part of that Beatles image and sound. Will Lee is amazing.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, Will Lee is one of the early Fusioneers of bass. Definitely one of my main guys back then(along with Chuck Rainey).

Will was in Billy Cobham's Dreams & The Brecker Brothers Band.
    Lee woulda been on the Fusion classic Spectrum if not for that "Frankenstein" Fender P-bass of his(8 pickups + crappy tone). ;)

What I have read-
    Lee didn't like the road; if you notice, he was on a lot of studio recordings back pre-Lettermen.
    Lee's work on Spyro Gyra's earliest records is pretty happenin', too.
    Supposedly, Lettermen is calling it quits soon...what's Uncle Will gonna do?

BTW, his Fab Faux band does some of the more 'out' Beatles' tunes...is that right?
    If so, any band doing "Tomorrow Never Knows" is way OK by me.
    ;)

13. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    All of the musicians on Letteman are "great" - because they have to be. They cover virtually every style of music, and have to get it right the first time. I have no idea what would make anyone think playing for Letterman (or Leno, or whoever) was an "easy" gig. As much of on influence Sir Paul has been on the bass, I seriously doubt he could handle it. It's a completely different skill set.

14. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Will is also a very good Vocalist and does many studio vocal sessions. Check out the superb album by BFD (Will does about a third of the lead vocals as it was a group project with other studio guys) or Hirum Bullock's live trio album "Manny's Garage". Will is the slightly gruff, soulful voice.

Over the years, I've seen Will bring out several basses (other than Sadowsky's) on Letterman including:
    Fenders,
    Carvin,
    A Steinberger style double neck (fretted & fretless) made by Yamaha,
    and his Hofner among others.

15. Nicklas

Nicklas

Mar 15, 2003
    But do Will Like Pauls bass playing style?

16. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Will considers Paul McCartney a major influence. I'd hazard to guess that Will likes Paul's bass playing style and his music;)

Here's Will's bio. There just might be a Beatles reference........

Here's a little reminder of who and what we're dealing with:)

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    After the "Frankenstein" Fender P-bass fiasco, Lee often used a sunburst Jazz...eventually, he replaced the neck with a maple Valley Arts neck(I think there's a photo on one of the very, very early issues of Bass Player(maybe their 3rd or 4th issue?).
    Pretty sure Lee 'loved' that old Jazz; I can understand why he went with Sadowsky basses.
    How 'bout it, lump?
    ;)

18. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Will Lee is one of the all-time cats. Not just a great bass player, but a great all-around musician. The Letterman gig is the NYC working musician's dream gig. I happen to know (roughly) what the pay is, and suffice it to say on that salary alone any of us could live extremely well, even in NYC. They have a short rehearsal, tape in real time at 5pm, done at 6 (they tape two shows on one day, so they only tape 4 days a week), have a blast, and then have plenty of time left over for sessions and club gigs.

19. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    Holy smokes ... I LOVE THAT DISC! ... sonically speaking the sound is amazing on that disc ... not just will's bass sound, but steve ferrone's kick drum in the opening track, "where there's smoke, there's fire ... makes my toes curl ...

joe caro is an exteremly tasteful, clean guitar player whose lines always seem to be exactly perfect for any given moment of a tune ...

the closing track, "get the nut (on time)" is required listening for all bassists everywhere on what it means to "build on your ideas" ... the saxophone/trumpet jam at the end starts out really simple on bass, and each time the turnaround comes, will ratchets up the intensity by 10% ... by the end of the song, he's COOKIN" big time ...

another thing i find amazing is the economy of will's playing on that disc ... for lack of a better word, the playing is simple and effective and not over the top ... listen to a tune like, irrestible odds ... (will sings lead on that one, BTW) ... the bass part is so ULTRA simple, but adds just what the song needs ... i have always felt that a good musician knows how to play simply when it's called for ...

another rare disc to check out with will is one by an artist named eric doney ... "and why not" ... it's just piano/bass/drums ... very beautiful songs, and there's a choral piece on there called "la paz" featuring beautiful chordal work from will that made me rethink the possibilities of chord tones on bass ...

i think it's on pacific street records, and if i can find a link, i'll repost it here.

20. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I think that it's very cool of Will to take the "imitation is a form of flattery thing" all the way to using the Hofner with the Fab Faux. Actually, I believe that Will is a serious tech guy. I think that he is using that bass in order to get the same feel, tone, and other nuances as Paul.

I really love his funky grooves on Late Night, mostly using a Jazz Bass with the front pick up cover on.

I kind of miss his jumping up and down on the opening tune like he used to do in the 1980s though.