1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will Lee's 1965 Jazz Bass For Sale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kmonk, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
  2. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Doesn't get any more classic than that. The stories it has to tell.

3. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Why???

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Cool. Don't recall him playing much other than Sadowskys lately though.

Still a great bass but would be even cooler if it was really recognizable as a bass he gigged/recorded with for years. Kinda like Geddy Lee selling his Zamaitas that he has never recorded with or even been seen on stage with.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  5. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    In the early years of the Letterman show he alternated between a P bass and a Jazz, all presumably 60's fender's. I think he used the outboard sadowsky preamp with the stock fender basses for a number of years before going all in on the sadowsky Jazz bass line, pretty much his go to bass ever since apart from the Fab Faux gig where he uses a hofner and a rick for obvious reasons.

6. tomersg

tomersg

Aug 6, 2007
    Israel
    is this selling is like the guy that long time trying to sell "jaco" 70's jazz baas?

7. No, this is actually Will Lee's bass. He posted the link to the auction himself, on his facebook page.

8. tomersg

tomersg

Aug 6, 2007
    Israel
    ah ok. we are not FB friends.. :)

BioWeapon likes this.
  9. Nor am I, I'm just repeating what the OP said ;)

10. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I remember Will playing a Jazz hybrid with a Valley Arts maple neck in the early days before Sadowsky.,,sometimes a red Pbass as well.

jim nolte likes this.
  11. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    He played a J in 24th Street Band, before Letterman (it was 3/4 of the first Letterman band, though).

24thstrband.

12. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Wasn't he a carvin endorser for years (80s-90s)?

13. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Don't know. He talks about basses he plays other than Sadowsky here. One's a Carvin 5.

All the stills on this video look like P basses.

14. Baird6869

Damn, read some of the jokes on Will's joke page. I laughed my ass off!

In any case, the bass seems to be owned by Will but it just isn't in his top (or any) rotation. Expensive bass but not likely worth a ton more than normal due to being owned by Will. His worn Sadowsky would be a completely different story.

I own a Fender that was owned by Jason Newsted of Metallica earlier in his career. It is signed, comes with documentation and is worth some good bucks. Nothing close to what one of his Sadowskys or Alembics would be worth though. If the Fender was used to record and tour the black album, it would be worth a ton more.

15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Whenever I see something like this, I have to wonder what made a guy like Will look at his bass collection and go "Ok...this one has to go"

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  16. Baird6869

He probably found it at the back of his storage locker, blew off an inch of dust and said "Thought I sold this '65 Jazz 30 years ago!"

Fred312b likes this.
  17. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    I'm with ya, a guy this busy, can't be back taxes or something like that. Why would he feel the need to put something out to open market rather than to a friend or student or something?

Burwabit and 48thStreetCustom like this.
  18. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Looking at his old web site (the new one isn't nearly as funny but links the J for auction), he shows 4 P basses as part of his gear but no J, so it looks like it's odd bass out.

19. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    The Jazz/Valley Arts maple neck/Fingerboard. was used pre-Sadowsky. Will also used a white Fender Jazz early on Letterman. He also has a red P-Bass that was made into a fretless.

20. IPA

IPA

May 5, 2010
    if you need money and you think of your instruments as tools, it's not that hard to pick the one that will yield the best results.

SirMjac28 and StayLow like this.