1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will Lee's Late Night Tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SBassman, Sep 13, 2008.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I had not seen Letterman in a while, and I just watched it recently. I noticed - for the first time - that Will Lee's tone was
    really great. He occasionally plays those licks solo when someone says something funny, and I could really hear the tone. It was Superb.

Anybody know what his signal path is?
    What kind of preamp does he use?

2. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    im pretty sure the last few times i have watched, he was using sadowsky basses through an old ampeg fliptop combo. agree 100% awesome tone and AWESOME player.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I know he does play Sadowsky's, but he has to have more in the signal chain.

4. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    im sure he does....no idea though, just always see that old ampeg combo behind him. sounds great either way.

5. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    According to his website, he uses a Hartke head and 4.5 cabinet. The Sadowsky basses, although uses other things depending on need. He had a pedal board, but I am not sure what is on it.

6. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I seem to recall reading something here on TB posted by JimmyM (?) about Will Lee's Ampeg fliptop using a custom speaker configuration. Perhaps, he'll read this and share the details with us.

7. the ampeg is the house amp for letterman...i think its modded with 2 12s?? but i did read he uses the house amp...and im sure whichevr bass he wants cause he can :hyper:

8. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I saw one show where he used a sunburst bass, that resembled a 4-94 or one of those crazy Lakland ones. but IMO

9. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I saw one show back in the late 90's where he seemed to be playing a blue Fodera singlecut. But nowadays it's all about Sadowsky. As far as his amp/signal chain/DI, he endorses Radial Tonebone Bassbones...

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Thanks.

[I wish Radial made a single channel version of the Bassbone. It would probably come to market
    a whole lot cheaper.]

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Will's Fliptop cab is a custom 410. But nobody hears that...he runs a DI (probably Radial since he's an endorsee). He's got a handful of effects, but the real secret of Will Lee's tone is Will Lee.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    How much cheaper do you think it will be to eliminate only one bass input jack and a footswitch? I'd say $15. The Bassbone is cheap enough to where it shouldn't matter. You can always use it as a single channel. But if you really only want one channel, you want a DI ;)

13. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for responding, Jimmy. Can you shed any more light on Lee's Fliptop? Pretty please :hyper:

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorry...that's all I can remember about it when I read about it in BP or Bass Guitar a couple years ago. The head may be a B-15R, but don't quote me on that.

15. Yeap, also he plays with a high action from what I've read, which accounts for a lot of the fatness. You just can't get that sort of fundamental with super low action.

2luvthebass likes this.
  16. Will Lee does have great tone.

If you can, listen to The Late Show with headphones. For some reason, his bass really stands out. And his tone is fantastic.

I've been listening with headphones in bed so I don't wake the wife. The bass is amazing with headphones. I hear bass lines (even on commercials) and tell myself, "Ooh, I have to try that!" Of course, by morning, I forgot what it was. :crying:

By the way, if you like the Beatles (and who doesn't?), you absolutely positively need to see the Fab Faux with Will Lee. They do Beatles studio songs that the Beatles never did live. The music is just impeccable; there are not enough superlatives to describe them. For me, the are one of the most enjoyable bands today.

17. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That's an interesting hypothesis. Can you explain why this would be true? I'm not trying to be impolite - and I don't have "super low action" on any of my basses - just curious to learn more. :)

18. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Something else to remember: Will's signal also has to go through additional mixing, compressing, etc. before it comes out of your TV. And the studio engineers have had five nights per week for over 25 years to perfect that mix!

2luvthebass likes this.
  19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    +1

20. greenbass5

greenbass5

Sep 16, 2007
    Oklahoma City

The string travels in a larger eliptical pattern?:confused:

Aw cr@p! Now I'm gonna be thinking about this all day....