Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Lee's Sadowsky on Letterman Show

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Captain G, Mar 8, 2004.

1. When watching Will Lees playing on David Letterman, with the CBS Orchestra the Sadowsky he's playing seems to have a MM + J pickup arrangment, but in the reverse standard mode !! ie MM in neck positon and the J in the bridge position !! Am I seeing this right ?? Do many other players use this arrangement ?? If so, what would the advantages/ purpose ??

2. Cap,

It seems like I remember that Roger had this bass spotlighted on his website recently, but I can't find it now. This was specially designed for Will Lee. Roger Sadowsky could comment on the advantages, and if anyone else is playing this configuration.

Randy

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    is it the sunburst looking one?? isnt that just a regular jazz setup?

4. It's the sunburst looking on, with the maple fretboard. It's the strangest thing I've seen !! But, Willie must have it configured this way for a good reason. But, what is it ??

5. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Maybe he likes the bridge J sound and neck MM sound?

:)

6. LKK

LKK

Sep 4, 2002
    This is exactly the configuration I tried on my modified bass. I installed the MM nearly at its traditional sweet spot and the J very close to the bridge. The bridge J retains the J tone, which I normally use for soloing etc. The neck MM pickup still sounds like MM.

7. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    That Sad Will Lee that was featured on Rodger's site had dual J's but they were in the Warwick Thumb p/u positions. It looked strange because the neck cover was still in the standard position without any p/u under it.

8. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Although I have made a couple of MM/J basses for Will, they were not his sound. I would wager that you are confusing the black metal cover over neck J pickup with a wider pickup like a MM.

Roger

9. Ah......the master has spoken. :)

Thanks for the clarification, Roger.

Randy

10. I thought so.... ;) :)

11. Dear Roger, many thanks for clearing that up !!! It's been an enigma to me for quite a long while. Also, thanks greatly for taking the time to respond to my query. Cheers Capt