1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will low-profile frets make my bass sound more fretless/"woody"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stephenleejp, Feb 11, 2013.

1. stephenleejp

stephenleejp Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Virginia Beach
    I purchased a brand new Carvin Icon and had the thinnest frets installed.
    Unlike other hifi basses, this bass's,mids soundy woody and/or like a fretless, a little. Sounds real cool btw.
    Is this BC of their low profile frets, preamp, or dual humbuckers.

I like the sound,,I just want to be able to dial in a more hifi, piano tone for my gospel gigs.
    Thanks

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It's an interesting premise, but I don't think so.

3. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I think it just means you don't have to work so hard to fret the note. You can roll up to or down from a note like Jimmy Haslip does on fretted and get a bit of a fretless simulation.
    Lee Sklar is a player who has low profile frets (mandolin frets) on his Jazz Bass.
    BTW, congrats on the Icon! I love mine!

4. Not a fretless tone, but IMO vintage "small" frets do let the fretboard speak a bit more.

Kinda like high mass bridge vs. low mass/bent plate style - but on a much, much smaller scale.