Will Mark Hoppus Prove Us Wrong?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
  2. No

52 vote(s)
  3. Maybe

8 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    It has come to my attention that Blink 182 will be releasing a new album this summer. Now I know this simply because I'm surrounded by friends who are Blink 182 fanatics. But I must say, I can't wait for their new album. Will Mark Hoppus silence his long-time critics with some badass bass solos or funky basslines? Hmmm....Stay tuned.
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I was gonna say maybe because you really dont know whats gonna happen, but I think Im safe enough just saying no.

Its just not what he does. Even if he did do it it would sound terrible considering the band he's in.

3. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    ummmmm......no? Just can't see it happening. It would be way out of character for him.
  4. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i would have to say no, even if he did, it just wouldn't sound right. it's weird to say, but i would be dissappointed if he didn't play like he normally does. i just can't hear any other style of bass with blink 182, wouldn't be right.
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I want Hoppus skills. He's so groovy and tasteful. Have you guys even listened to any of his stuff? He sits so nice and low in that pocket. I wish I had his theroy training to! I wonder who taught him, I have been trying to find out forever. Plus, he's damn sexy.

In all seriousness though, People need to leave the poor guy alone, and work on what they think is good, instead of worrying about "Blink 182".
  6. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    It could happen, but I doubt it.
  7. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    my friend who is a long time listener of blink is slowing down his obsession for a bit, and I am very happy he is, since he basically ruled everything else out. He just started guitar lessons, and wants to move to other stuff thats better. He thought they were breaking up or something....hmm....anyway, if mark whips out some crazy shtuff...or if tom starts doin some mega skilled stuff, james (my friend) would probably go back. would be an interesting change of pace.
  8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I doubt it, but I don't really care too much considering maintstream punk, and well, punk in general, kinda gets annoying after a few minutes..but that's just me..:bag:
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    riiiight. and you don't listen to them at all, right? it's ok, you can admit it, we're all friends here. :D
  10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    We are?
  11. I'm going to say YES, because no one else was saying it and we needed something to balance out the Feng Shui in this post.
  12. You beat me to it there, Will.
  13. I guess I unbalanced it again then.

I'm not going to add anything more to this thread.[​IMG]

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Anythings possible, but funkiness/bass solos would change the way Blink 182 sounded. And now they are making lots of money off of how the sound. They probably aren't going to change it. It's all about the Benjamins.
  15. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    No! I don't listen to them...you're gonna make me cry...

No seriously, I don't. I really can't stand 'em. Being an avid Green Day listener since the age of 8, I know Green Day used to hate Blink 182 alot so thats a natural thing to do for me..I don't know if they still do considering they toured together and stuff.
  16. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Well he could, but I wouldn't care. On second thought, I really doubt it.
  17. wonderboy

Oct 27, 2002
    he doesn't even play half the stuff on the albums. because he can't play. they can't play in time (travis can), and tom and mark are horrible musician's. they are just fortunate horrible musicians who have way more money than the lot of us combined.
  18. I always thought Travis seemed slack with the band. He's a great drummer, but Mark isnt tight with anyone...

Tom seems to stay in tune with Travis tho..

Just my opinion.

GREEN DAY RAWWWK1!!1 @ Cone :D :bassist:
  19. grinnik

Feb 18, 2003
    Ede, Netherlands
    I voted "no" because that's my answer to below question.

The reason why is what he says in this interview:
    It's also a nice read for all those Blink bashing and optionally Green Day loving people out here.

A nice quote from Mark taken from this interview:
    "In our band, I kind of play a combination of bass and rhythm guitar, like Mike was talking about earlier, doing counter melodies and just very straight. I don’t do very intricate bass stuff because it would get lost. If there was another rhythm guitarist, I might have gone that way, but I never played in a band that had two guitars. So my bass playing is very simple, but it’s geared almost like a rhythm guitar."
  20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i like blink and ill stand up for them...mark does what he does...sure hes no jaco (but most of us aren't either!) obviously he has shown that you don't need the catchiest riffs to be in a band so god everyone just let the Hoppus thing die....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.