Will Mesa come out with a tube in the next generation D-800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andertone, Dec 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Seems like a logical move. The very popular GB Shuttle morphed into the Streamliner
    (I have had and liked both). Seems like getting Andy to do his magic with three 12AX7's
    with a bit of grind in the preamp would be a huge marketing adventure.

Might cut into some D-800 sales. Timing of course would be core, what with NAMM et al.

2. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    Sales trends being what they are dictate that demand for the D-800 will taper down dramatically some months in the future (maybe already be starting) at which point revising the design by adding tubes would be the logical move. That strategy worked well for many manufacturers.

3. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Yeah, it's been done and I guess it could happen. I don't feel that the D-800 needs that, though.

With GK, the MBF800 seemed to take off just enough harshness where needed. I just don't hear a need for warming up the D-800.

I don't think it needs anything else, and at the current price, is a fine little amp.

TMARK, Lowendtech, tomydacat and 2 others like this.
  4. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    All this experimenting is good but seems like making a higher wattage Walkabout should of been the direction to go in, and your right about the Subway Craze fading away,there's already some negative feedback on it...

5. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    The D800 doesn't need a tube preamp, really. I like it more than my old WA. I like it more than my bass 400+.

But this is just what I like. When I want tube tone I play a tube amp.

6. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Many amps become TB darlings and eventually fade - that's the normal trajectory. For any product really. Some amps don't even make it to darling status though...

Hard to argue with the success of the D800 though as it seems that Mesa made a solid amp at a great price (and made in the US). Could be that a higher power Walkabout is on the roadmap, but it also might be that the magic of that amp actually is found in pushing a lower power main section. Different combinations sound different, and maybe they did mate the D800 power amp to the Walkabout pre and it didn't work. In the D800 seems like instead of making a more powerful Walkabout they instead went for something in-between existing voicings and tweaked based on player input rather than chasing particular specs.

I don't know that I'd want a tube stuffed into the D800. I have Monique if I want chewy tube, and frankly a really good compressor changes the character of the D800 a bit - as does twisting knobs and exploring different gain and eq settings. One thing they got right was the preamp - to me it behaves much more neutral and flexibly than something like the TH500 or GK. But that's my ears and my playing technique so ymmv.

Pickebass, Goatrope and boamedt like this.
  7. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    I'd pass on that. I'm very happy with the D800 as is. Having an EMG GZR pickup in my P bass gives me plenty of growl or grind.

8. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I dig what nostatic said... I used an all tube head for years and now with a cali76 CB and a good boost hitting my D800, I'm not missing tubes at all right now.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  9. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    In a live setting or a mix I would gamble that 99 % of folks wouldn't know a tube from a snakes penis

Keep in mind I said "a tube"

anavar and lomo like this.
  10. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    I could have sworn you said "penis."

Ryan L. and Matt Dean like this.
  11. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Had my first full band rehearsal last night with the D800 and one ML112.
    I was really hoping that it would sit sonically right in the middle between my WT800 and my Streamliner. I was not disappointed in this regard.
    Upon listening to the playback, it definitely has some warmth to its grind when you push the front.
    I will echo nostatic's comment about running a good compressor in front of it. I can add sauce to the pudding.
    I still have some more exploring to do with the eq but so far, it's pretty darn good.

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Tell you what I'd do if I were a Mesa decision maker ........ my next bass product would be a nice, full-featured, bass-specific pedal preamp/DI with 1 or more tubes and a 2 knob compressor..........to run in front of my D-800..... or another amp..........broad appeal........I think it'd sell very well indeed........

13. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I'd buy one of those.

TMARK likes this.
  14. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Tube freak though I am, I don't think the D800 needs the "marketing tube", like so many bass amps incorporate. I'm looking at you, Eden... The Mesa is just fine as-is.

boamedt, Livewire and Lex P. like this.
  15. Matt Dean

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I've discovered that when I hit the D800's tube emulation circuitry with a SouthAmpton Fifth Gear boost, it makes those circuits come alive.

TMARK likes this.
  16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd rather have semi-para mids than a tube.

TMARK and wcriley like this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021