1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

will mexican fenders ever be collectible

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbird99, Jul 21, 2012.

1. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    I am still stoked on my new mim p bass (never liked the design of fender basses I preferred Gibson's , went to buy a ripper but left with a mim p bass , I was bored so I thought hell why not played it and compared to my gibbys (especially my tbird ) it played great
    Sounded great and looked decent so do you think Mexican fenders will ever be considered collectible say 30 years from now , I love my new bass but keep doubting it and slapping myself for not getting an MIA but I keep trying to make myself happy again also I know some of you gear snobs will say there's a major difference but is the MIA seriously worth $500 more like if you were blind folded and played one could you immediately know which was which I know MIA are obviousl better and the original but Is it honestly (ignoring all patriotism and beliefs that American products are better) worth the 500 or so more

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    People collect anything. If your question is "will it be more valuable as a collector's item" the answer is "probably not."

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    No...despite the fact that many of them play as well or better than many of the 60 and 70's era boat anchors that are now considered ' vintage '

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    What guy n. cognito and purfektstranger said. A few MIMs have become slightly more prized because they’ve either been discontinued or were built as part of an FSR order. But in general, no one is buying an MIM as a long-term investment.

Enjoy your Precision.

5. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    My MIM P may never be collectable, but I'll never part with it! :cool:

6. One never knows. Maybe years from now the early MIM prices will be through the roof. I do know that my 1994 MIM P Bass Special (AKA COWPOKE) seems to be holding it's value very well.

7. yeah, never know . . . I see some non MIA's, in the guitar world especially, go for more than the MIA's for certain years. plus if there is a specific model that goes out of production and becomes desirable.

personally I never see the want for it all. like the vintage models going for $10k. I think that's just silliness . . . but there's no telling what someone will pay big $$ for.

8. Looking back 25 years or so, hoodathunk that some of the Japanese Fenders/Squiers would be hot today. With Fender (possibly) moving more production to China (modern player, etc) the current MIM lines, which have lots of MIA parts may hold their value pretty well. Just guessing, time will tell.

9. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    By the time a bass is 30-40 years old, in all likelihood, the crappy ones will have been weeded out, no matter where they are made. Ultimately, values will be determined by supply and demand. I don't think MIM's will be worth as much as MIA's, but I absolutely believe they will eventually increase in value. Hypothetical question: If you came across a 1972 P made in Japan (yes, I know they didn't make Fenders in Japan back then. That's why this is a hypothetical question.) that looked, played, and sounded great, would you shun it or welcome it with open arms? Exactly. It wouldn't matter where it was made. You would be thrilled to have it.

10. kentiki

kentiki

May 14, 2008
    +1. No matter how nice they are, Fender makes too many instruments for them to become collectible.

BTW, I have a 1992 MIM Jazz that I won't sell.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I don't really care about collect ability. I plan on playing mine until the fret wire is even with the fingerboard.

12. no refret?

13. Troph

Troph

Apr 14, 2011
    Kirkland, WA
    "Collectible" more or less implies that they have good resale value. And that depends on how much you paid in the first place.

I "collect" them whenever I see them on sale cheap on Craigslist or used at local music shops. I recently "collected" a grunge-era black/rosewood 1994 MIM Precision with upgraded electronics (Duncan Basslines pickup, CTS pots, and copper shielding) for $225 at a local music store. It came with a free setup. Plays beautifully, great tone.

It won't ever make me wealthy, but I won't lose money either, and I love playing it. :bassist:

But if you buy MIM Fenders new at current retail prices, you should expect to lose money if you sell. In fact, probably about 20% to 25% just walking out the door from the music store.

The only appreciation they seem to do is two-fold:
    • they more or less seem to keep up with inflation (but this is a bad investment strategy)
    • whenever Fender increases their prices, the used market gets a slight bump, but the used market fluctuates heavily with the economy

Now that most parents just buy Squiers and Asian models for their kids as a first instrument, ridiculously cheap used MIM Fenders are getting harder to find. So you'll never lose more than probably 50% of your investment if you buy new. But that's hardly what I'd call "collectible".

This is all true unless, of course, you become famous and decide to auction off your stable later for charity. That's when the serious appreciation happens. I suppose you could just assume this will happen to you and don't worry about the cost today! ;)

14. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I think based upon the number of MIMs produced they'll never be collectable. But I do agree that they are fine instruments and will hold some value, I don't see them going up in value though.

15. Some will be...eventually....rare colors or unusual models will be sought after many years from now.....the question is, how collectible?

16. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Well, I don't think you can compare Mexico with Japan. They were making great guitars in Japan long before Fender decided it would be a good idea to make them there. Where are those great Mexican basses that were being made before Fender went there? Plus you can't compare Japanese craftsmanship with Mexican assembly.

17. My Magic 8-Ball says "Reply hazy, ask again later."

I figure about 40 years later ought to do it.

51T0DnfCflL._SL500_AA300_.

18. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    What purfektstranger said. When I see pictures of my 78 P bass, I miss it a bit. Then I remember what it was like to play and how it sounded, and my mass-produced MIM bass seems like the best deal in town.

19. Back in the '70s and '80s the prevailing wisdom was that if it wasn't "pre-CBS", it would never be worth anything. Now look at the prices of '70s Fenders. Don't believe all you hear. I was told by my band at the time that my 3 bolt neck '75 Strat would never be worth squat, so I sold it for a couple hundred bucks. Sheesh.

Also, "MIM" is too broad a category. Certain models will be worth more than others, just like everything else.

20. Here's a question, anyone think the CV and VM Squier's made today will ever become sought after like the early Squier's?