Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Michael Vick set a shift in the role of the NFL quartebacks?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XIbanez4lifeX, Dec 12, 2005.

1. XIbanez4lifeX

XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    Ohio,USA
    This is not a thread about how good or bad Vick is but a thread about running quarterbacks

Usually the guys with the fastest acceleration and and the quickest players are played as wide recievers, safety's and defensive backs. Just Imagine if they started taking the fastest overall players and started to develope them into quarterbacks.

Imagine over a period of ten years quarterbacks will start to develope rushing yards of 45-65 yds a game, this will then be standard for quarterbacks in the NFL. The standard would be yards rushed vs yards passing.

The future quarter backs lets say average 50yds a game rushing X 16 games, this will then be figured into thier quarteback ranking. It would be average for any quarterback to have 800yds a year rushing.

Do you see this as a possibility?

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    no... The truly great QB's have always been mental players, not physical players... The great QB's are always cool, calm, and collected. The best are all-arounders. Always have been.

I don't see QB's averaging any more yardage in 10 years than they do now.

The other problem is a purley running-based game would boring. No spectacular throws as the pocket collapses around you. No amazing 'thread the needle' throws 20, 30, 40 yds down fieldin traffic. No last second hand-offs to the full back who breaks through the line for that 3 yard gain for the final TD.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Do you watch any college football?

It's already happening, Lamarcus Russell (LSU), Vince Young (Texas), Marcus Vick (VT), etc. all are seriously fast (though none are in Vick's league on their feet) and can wing that ball better than Vick can.

Ultimately, I don't think that it will be a major trend. Vick's style works for him because he has the speed of a fast running back and he can throw the ball decently.

I've yet to see an imitator who was as fast with as good of vision as Micheal. If Vince Young stays in school and works on his mobility he would be in the same ballpark, but with a better arm. Which I think would be a better package versus pure speed.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Definitely. The guys who win are the Bradys, Favres, Montanas, Youngs, Aikmans, though.

The running threat QB is way fun to watch. Still, I am more of a fan of the pocket passer with surgeon like accuracy to carve up a secondary.

-Mike

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    **Waiting for Gard to show up and say he'd still rather have Aaron Brooks than Michael Vick**

***snicker*** :D

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Dude, let's take the Falcons, destroy all the player's homes, trash their home stadium, trash their practice facility, turn their home city into a ghost town, put them on the road for the entire season, including living on the road and practicing on the road and having team meetings and workouts on the road....

...I promise you, they'd be at best 4-12 by the end of the season.

There is no describing how having your routine totally destroyed will totally destroy a football team.

Go ahead, kick us while we're down.

....Vick is an abberation, not the future, and he will NEVER be the pure QB that his second cousin is.

I'll stick with AB.

Thanks.

7. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Oh, lighten up. I was making a joke on a conversation we had LAST season.

Besides, numbers speak for themselves. It doesn't look like AB is doing any worse/better than he was last year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/4781/

And, since he is saying he wants out of NO, you might not be able to stick with him.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Wasn't the Running Quarterback the wave of the future when Culpepper had his big season a few years back? I thought that concept had fallen out of vogue when he started to suck. :D

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Sorry, not nearly enough sleep last night or enough caffeine this morning! :spit:

Yeah, AB's numbers are fair this year, but the rest of the team is way off where they should be. I still think that long-term, he's a better position player at QB than Vick, just not as "sexy" in that Ron Mexico kinda way...

;)

...won't matter, the NFC isn't going to produce a SB winner, and I don't see the Falcons making it far into the playoffs.

It's been a very depressing season for Saints fans, the whole Katrina debacle, losing Duce for the year....wondering if we'll even HAVE a team next year...or the year after...

...all adds up to a pretty touchy group of fans.

Sorry I snapped at ya bro. :meh:

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Yeah, Brad Johnson is proving that to be a real-life case of "The Emperor's New Clothes", isn't he?

:)

I watched Daunte at UCF, back when I lived in Orlando, and he NEVER really impressed me with his skills as a QB, his decision making stunk. He got by at that level with physical talent, that will only go so far in the NFL...now, if he'd stepped his mental abilities up to a level with his physical abilities, he'd be something to see...ain't happening.

11. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I don't know if it's a possibility for your NFL, but the CFL has been moving that way for years. Just this year Kerry Joseph (QB for Ottawa) ran for over 1000 yards. Damon Allen (QB for Toronto) did it a number of years ago, too. Then there are others like Casey Printers (BC) and Nealon Greene (SK though it looks like we're getting rid of him) who can run like RBs when the pocket breaks down. I think it makes for a great game of football, and with the defensive line being so fast these days, it's pretty much necessary in the wide open CFL.

Of course, just because it works in the CFL doesn't mean it'll work down south. You guys play a very different game.

-Nate

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Ask Kordell Stewart...

My answer is when running QBs start winning games (like Peyton Manning) and Superbowls (like Tom Brady), it will start to shift. But not untill then.

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

No biggie. You didn't make me cry, ya big lug. But, will it make your morning if I say that I don't even think the Falcons will be making the playoffs this year? :D Going to Chicago for a night game with a bruised rib Vick is not a recipe for a win.

Like it, or not, Vick is the well from which many future QBs will spring. And, if Steve Young says he's the best out there, I'm giong with Steve Young's opinion. He might know a thing, or two, about what it takes to be a West Coast Offense QB...

And, anyone who thinks Vick can't throw the ball has selective memory. To say that play like Vick's makes the game boring is watching a different football game than the ones I see. I seem to remember a 57 yard TD pass to Roddy White. And, he ran two TDs in, his own damn Vick-self.

A QB who is a threat on his feet will NEVER be a liability to a team.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Even if his "proactive" playing puts him in more dangerous positions and much more prone to injury, potentially costing the team lots of money and game time when he's injured as he gets flattened by two-ton linemen?

I don't know, I might not be making a valid point. But when your quarterback is the (usually) highest-paid, leadership type figure, sure it's valiant to take a few runs and throw a block every six games or so, but do you think management really wants these guys in the fray?

15. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The QB position is always the most dangerous position on the field. Would you rather have him be mobile, or a statue?

I don't think it's any big secret that Michael Vick is one play away from a career ending injury. But, the same could be said of any player. The Jets went out and got Jay Fiedler as an insurance policy for Chad Pennington's surgically repaired shoulder. He lasted 7 plays before he was handed his season ending shoulder injury. He was still in the pocket when he got hammered.

Football is a dangerous sport. Any management team that plays the "safe" game is doomed to a team of mediocrity.

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Let's not confuse "mobile" with "being a running quarterback". These are two different issues, and aren't interchangable. Being mobile in the pocket is one thing, and thinking you're a running back are not the same thing.

I disagree. You can't generalize a team's strategy like that. You don't handle a quarterback the same way you would a fullback. Keeping your QB from putting himself in uneccesary danger is being prudent and protecting an investment that needs to be protected.

17. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Both very excellent points. It all boils down to team philosphy--Just like some want their defense to be gigantic man-mountains, while others are willing to sacrifice size for speed.

It should make for a fun football future. Vick isn't the last running QB the league will see, so it will be fun to see how the position develops over the years.

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'll agree that it's fun to watch! A quarterback that can dash for six or seven adds another element of unpredictability to the game that definitely makes for an exciting game.

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Last night, he was golden. I enjoy watching him when he is on his A game. His arm is getting better, but I still consider him to be more comfortable with his feet, not like that is a bad thing at all.

The only thing that he must do is learn to slide correctly. If runs out of space he justs flops forward. I'm more worried that a botched slide will cost him his career than a hard hit. He should probably consult Warrick Dunn on taking hits because Dunn is smaller and lighter than Vick, sees more carries than Vick, and yet doesn't get hurt.

SUPERDUCK: I don't know what Vick you are watching, but 6-7 yards runs aren't why he is dangerous. Long yardage runs, like the one 40 yard TD drive against Minnesota in overtime a few years ago, are why he is dangerous. The two TD runs from last night are why he is dangerous. The Legend of Ron Mexico is why he is dangerous, albeit for a very different reason. :D

20. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    Mike Vick is fun to watch, but until he has more than two 300 yard passing games in his career, and until he's not dead last in completion percentage amongst regulars, I'd rather have McNabb (healthy that is), Favre, Brady, Peyton Manning, etc.