1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will MIJ Fender value rise in the future?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SUNNyday r., Jun 18, 2007.

1. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    This question was running through my mind at work today. They are full of value in cost to quality ratio but will they ever rise in terms of collectible value? Will they garner the prices that Pre CBS and most everything else made after that period by Fender one day? Anyone else ever wonder about this. The MIJ stuff seems wildly popular now and will it ever go from "cult" favorite to all out collectible?

2. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I think when our children grow up and feel the need to get old Fenders, the demand for them will go up and the price will start going up. I'm not really sure if you'd consider that as collectible, like museum piece kind of thing, but it's all the same to me.

3. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    I like the "children" perspective. Makes sense. I really got to thinking this over because I have been cleaning house and selling a few things and a mid 80's MIJ Squire Jazz is one of them. I could go either way on it and would rather have players than wall art but it seems like it might be wise to hold on to it.

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    No. They will not go up in value.

5. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    Don't get a bass for a collectors item....get it for what it is, an instrument for expression. Most CIJ buyers get the basses for an excellent playable deal...as for 20yrs from now, who knows. The Catholic church has been trying to tell the future for years (apocalypse and what not)...I say leave the future for later.

6. One thing that adds to the collectibility of instruments is the rarity factor.

In the 1950.s the annual output of basses amounted to perhaps a couple of thousand units over the whole decade, going up slightly in the 1960s.

Compare the output to what is produced noadays - between Fender's USA and Mexican production plants, the output is around 1,000 instruments PER DAY!!!! Add on the output from the Japanese and Korean factories and you can see that the "exclusivity factor" isn't the same as it was for the first instruments.

So, will these units go up in price? Maybe after a couple of decades - maybe not - the high end stuff is still the best bet. Also, prices of instruments are a fraction of what they were years ago. In the UK in the 1960's, a Start was the equivalent of around £10,000 in today's terms (related as a percentage of the average annual income). Today you can get a new USA Strat for £750-1,500 depending upon spec (USA Standard through Custom Shop stuff)

7. well said Kev.

Maybe, and just maybe, you could think about collectible sutff as Alleva Coppolo and other great basses over there...

8. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Some of the stuff has gone up a bit already. I think you will see some appreciation in another 10 years or so. PM me with that Squier Jazz if you decide to sell it :)

9. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    I don't think their high quality will factor into it, there are many "valuable" guitars today that were considered the low end in their day. Also being non American is not in their collectible favor. So I'd guess no, they won't go into collector prices.

However if next months Bass Player had a cover story about how Marcus, Wooten and Flea have all started playing Geddy Lee basses their price would triple in a month ;)

10. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Well, it is a nice looker I have and in fine shape. Only real drawback is it is a heavy sucker! The OG pickups could stand to be replaced and I don't dig the bridge. It also reminds me very much of my older bro's mid 80's MIJ Squire Strat and the nostalgia of that really led me to buy it in the first place because I always felt bad about wrecking that Strat when he let me have it. I don't think it will be worth thousands of dollars one day and wouldn't hold on to it and wait 30 years to find out. And here come the arrows aimed right at my fretting hand, I am much in love with Warwicks! Don't shoot!:smug: :p

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021