1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Will moving bridge strap nut effect hang?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MTBassMania, Oct 13, 2017.

1. MTBassMania

MTBassMania

Mar 5, 2013
    So... I have a '95 Modulus Quantum 6. I love everything about it, except how it hangs. I'm not surprised... Every bass I've owned, I've had to mod to change how the bass naturally hangs, for ergonomic reasons. Typically, I add a strap nut to the treble side of the neck, at the heel/joint, which pulls the neck up to hang at 45+ degrees of level.

Two reasons why I can't do this on the Q6: 1) It's graphite, and I'm terrified of ruining the neck, as replacing it would not be cheap. 2) The neck is so long and heavy, and sits so far back into the body, that the center of mass is substantially forward of the joint: so far forward that I would be drilling into the curved, hollow portion of the neck. So where I would normally put the strap nut causes unbelievable neck dive.

I considered adding mass to the bridge... But I would need 24 oz of weight (a lead disc about 3" dia x 1" thick) to move the center of mass back enough.

So I noticed on Spector basses, that the bridge nut is higher up on the body, on the bass side heel. When I hold my strap in that area, it seems to make the body sit down more, effectively giving me the angle I'm looking for. However, I can't REALLY tell, as I have to push on it to hold it there; and I don't want to tape it on to try it, for fear of ruining the finish.

So... My ultimate question: Would moving the bridge strap nut, from its center position over to the bass side heel (like Spector), actually cause the body to hang lower? Or will it just go back to hanging ~30 degrees from level?

Any other suggestions for how I could get the angle I'm looking for? I like my basses to hang at 45+ (maybe even 60+) degrees from level, with the 1st or 2nd fret about eye level.

Really appreciate any help! If I can't figure this out, gonna have to sell her, and I really REALLY don't want to!

2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Without going and finding it right now, I know that someone else solved a neck-dive issue with a long, extended "strap button" or "Strap button extender" that mounted into the upper horn, so if it comes to "still not doing it for you" that might be a solution that lets you keep the bass.

Here's an old thread (not the one I was thinking of, but addressing the same problem and with some different ideas - strap extenders that bolt (reversibly) to the neck mount bolts, something called a "strapture" that lets you slide the rear attachment point around.)

Another one, more recent, closer to what I was recalling seeing, might not be the same one, but the same idea. Much derision from the naysayers, be warned. Seems to work fine for the people that use it, though.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Most definitely yes - I have made a few custom basses and specifically placed the strap pegs in an optimal location north of the standard location (which is at the center of the butt-end of the body) to assist in optimal balance. Think about it... why would the center of the butt be ideal? (clue: its isn't) Upper strap peg at the octave, and the lower one to taste - but optimally above "center".

MTBassMania and mesaplayer83 like this.
  4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Somewhere is this thread the OP, Mapleglo, made a neckplate with an extension on it that she then mounted a strap button on. That seemed to work well, and there is no reasonable extension length that wouldn't work.
    Better the Devil you know

T_Bone_TL likes this.
  5. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yeah, Schecter and Spector both often position that strap post above centerline, and IME it does change the "hang angle" for the better...

MTBassMania and JIO like this.
  6. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I have a book "American Basses" by Jim Roberts. I went through it and noted all the basses that had an off-center lower strap peg - of course most all the major brands were centered and a few smaller makers followed suite, but most of the boutique makers had it off-center, even if just a little bit. I design my off-set body basses so the peg with strap connected acts as a leveler when propped against an amp (at a gig or rehearsal).

fullsizeoutput_d6a.jpeg

Otherwise I design the butt end so two points of the body touch the floor propping it straight. (inset Dunlop strap peg w/strap connected floats above the two touch points.
    fullsizeoutput_3b.jpeg

7. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    I think having the strap go at the center is a legacy of acoustic instruments where they went into the heal bloack for strength. On a solid body instrument there is no need for this.

MTBassMania and JIO like this.
  8. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    That sounds correct -

RSBBass likes this.
  9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I have also made a strap-peg/neck plate extention for an EB-type basses and for T-birds. It's not especially attractive but is solves the problem of a poorly designed bass. (no or too short upper horn; EB's, T-birds, Les Paul basses, Tele guitar style basses) As long as the peg is at or very near the 12th fret - the bass will balance correctly.

IMG_0349.JPG

One of my gilded basses I sold to this guy in Chicago - it's a 34" scale and w/o it it was neck-dive city.
    Image 4.jpg
    Another Gildaxe bass made from a maple Tele guitar body. Small black dial on back of hs controls LED fiber-optics side dots. It's a fretless and the fb is also gilded.
    fullsizeoutput_e1.jpeg

sissy kathy likes this.
  10. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Exactly the sort of thing I was talking about.

JIO likes this.
  11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    I mean, if I took it to the next level I would do some cut-outs or shaping to give it a more aesthetic appearance, or even just paint it matte-black so against a black shirt it would be less visually obvious. Not sure if there would be enough interest to justify the further development of it.