Will Musicman make a SUB bongo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Jan 15, 2005.

Will Musicman make a s.u.b. bongo?

Poll closed Jan 22, 2005.
  1. Yes, I hope they will

59 vote(s)
  2. No, I dont like them

34 vote(s)
  3. No, but I'd like to see it

44 vote(s)
  4. No, I don't think they will make one

71 vote(s)
  5. I don't care

73 vote(s)
  6. Other, explain

5 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I know it's probley not as popular as thier other basses but what do you think the chances of them making a sub bongo or even an olp bongo for the money strapped guys and gals like me? Thanks Joe
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    No. You're welcome.
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    why not, if the bongo catches on enough. Id be curious to see the sales figure for the bongo though. Sure alot of people around here like it, but has it sold well. If it does sell well im guessing Ernie Ball will make a more afordable version.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I doubt it - Bongo is the top of EBMM's line. You don't water down the reputation or market of your flagship product.
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
  6. I hope not. They appear very offensive in my eyes, although some say they sound great. If only they offered a "prettier" version...
  7. This may be off topic but I read somewhere that Ernie Ball is going to show off a brandnew bass at NAMM...has anyone heard anything about it...I know they are going to do a special one off Stealth bongo, but apparently this new bass isn't it
  8. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    Where did you read such info? I post on the ebmm board and the only 2 things they told us in advance are 1)L.E. finish-Butter Cream 2)Stealth Bongo. They said there might be some suprises but I doubt its an all new bass.

9. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I doubt it. Electronics and carved top body aside, the Bongo is probably a little cheaper to produce than a stingray.
    I wish they would offer a SUB Stingray with Bongo electronics though. That would be awesome.
    Bongo GAS is overwhelming...
  10. I doubt they will, as the SUB range is aimed at a more rock/metal audience, and the Bongo wouldn't really fit into that setting, all though their tone kicks butt.
  11. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I have heard nothing about an all-new bass to be introduced at NAMM, and if I haven't heard even a rumor....and I have a couple of friends who work at EB.....then I would say "No way."
  12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    you forgot to mention the poor funkies :D

I also read bout a suprise aside of the new colors (scheme) of the bongo, if it comes out a bongo with ebony board and fully black ill buy it.
  13. My bad...I probably misinterpreted the post :oops:
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why not? Lakland didn't have a problem with it.
  15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You hope not because you don't like the way they look? :rollno:

That's just stupid.

I think it is unlikely to happen since the heart of the Bongo is the four band EQ, and the cheaper SUB version is probably priced out of "profitable" as a result. Not to mention that they'd have to choose a pickup configuration to make it worthwhile, and the pickup options are one of the beauties of the Bongo.
  16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Has Lakland come out with Skyline versions of all their signature models? What's the top-of-the-line Lakland, and is there a Skyline equvalent? (I really don't know - I don't follow Lakland.)
  17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't know if Lakland is comparable. High-end Laklands are prohibitvely expensive instruments for many players since the are in the $3,000+ price range. It made sense for Lakland to make basses that could be bought in the $700-1,500 range. A 55-02 Deluxe costs the same as Stingray or Sterling Four and actually more than a single pup Bongo Five. I could see why Ernie Ball might not want to make $500 Bongo when the SUBs already seem to be filling that market quite well.
  18. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I'd hardly call the Bongo Ernie Ball's "flagship" bass. Just because it's the most expensive doesn't give it that designation. When most people think Ernie Ball MusicMan, they think "Stingray."

To give my opinion about a Bongo S.U.B. I voted "I don't care" because I don't. But I don't think there is enough of a market for the Bongo aesthetics, so I don't know how the reaction would be to an S.U.B. version. However, if they can spend a minimal amount to develop and produce it, they will probably try it.
  19. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I highly doubt they would, but it would be nice. Budget buyers are typically considered first-time buyers or teenagers, who would stereotypically be turned off by the Bongo's looks and buy a Rogue or Squier instead. I'm just glad they have the OLP Stingray's.
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Besides the sleek, modern look, the magic of the Bongo is that 4 band preamp. Without it, the bass would just be another production bass, instead of the best production bass under $2000.

So, even if Ernie Ball decided to make a SUB Bongo, I don't think it would sell. I want a Bongo for the preamp, not the body shape.