1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Will my amp be tough enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jdieh1, Apr 3, 2009.

1. I dunno if this should be in this section but what the hell.

I have to perform a song for my music class at school on Monday and we have to full on perform it the way the genre is supposed to be performed (We will be playing Paranoid by Black Sabbath, with the intro to For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica at the start).

My teacher is an idiot and thinks that all rock musicians jump around like mental people on-stage so that is basically what we have to do.

My question is: Will my Nemesis 4x10 be strong enough for me to be able to play the intro to For Whom the Bells Tolls standing on top of it? I don't wanna have it collapse on me, or fall over for that matter.

I plan on standing on it and then jumping off when it get's to the dah-dah-dah-dah, dah-dah-dah-dah etc etc part. (If you get what I mean)

2. dogbass

dogbass

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    If your teacher allows that, or suggests you do that, then they really are an idiot.

3. Why is that?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I never saw anyone in either band jump around like idiots. Yeah, they rock, but they're not trying to look like mental patients. I would pass standing on your cab. It can probably take it, but it's kind of dopey.

5. Hmm ok

6. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    If the stage got a drum raiser, jump off that :)

7. Unfortunately it doesn't :(

That's why i thought it would be cool to jump off my amp...

Oh well

8. Geezer never jumped around.

Not a response to any post, just an observation.

If you must jump of your amp, (cab), dont let it tip backwards, that you'd fall face down.
    Thats happened before.

9. Yeah, i don't think that many people did/do jump around THAT much, it's just that if i totally wow my teacher then she may give me a better mark. Plus it would be more entertaining.

Personally I'd rather just stand there and do a little bit of head banging or something... but whatever.

10. If you're going to jump off anything don't forget to use straplocks.

11. yeah, I would never do something THAT stupid. Haha

That is why I am asking here, I don't want to wreck my amp/bass/self by doing this... I just thought it would be cool

12. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    my old guitarist used the kick drum to jump off of...dunno if your schools kick is strong enough but it might be worth checkin out...

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, typical female teacher idea of metal. Jump around like mental patients. I should have known your teacher would be a woman. No understanding whatsoever of sausage fest bands like Metallica or Sabbath. Oh well, ham it up, dude. Just remember that it's a lot cooler to not hurt yourself ;)

14. yea dont jump off your amp thats so 80's and tacky . dont just stand in one spot but dont dance like a wounded duck either lol .

15. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    jumping around is for singers and gui****s, we stand like rocks looking cool doesn't your teacher know anything?

16. +1

17. I know that...

... And yes, she doesn't know anything about anything other than classical music.

18. well if she is a teacher an all than she should understand that with all music it is and or can be an art and a form of self expression not just something uniform .

19. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Borrow a trampoline from the gym dept. and jump off of that.

20. ok /thread

Haha

And to dnarock, she thinks that she understands other genres but obviously she doesn't... Sometimes it is impossible for people to see the light and open up to different kinds of music... or anything really, not just music