Will my amp catch a cold?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freakapotamus9, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    hello all,

as you know it winter. and i live in nebraska where as of now there is no snow yet, however it is pretty cold out there. and it is bound to snow sometime so it will get even colder. but my question is ... will the cold affect/damage my amp in any way??? specially cuz my amp would be in the basement.

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Unless it is below freezing in your basement :)eek: ), I wouldn't worry about it.
  3. The only problem would be taking your amp from an ultra-cold environment and powering it up straight away - i'd recommend letting the thing come to room temperature first! The same applies to shutting it off - let it cool sensibly before subjecting it to off-scale temperatures.

Apart from that, unless the temperature (and moisture content) is likely to cause internal ice and frost in the amp (unlikely, unless you're talking about an igloo :D ), you'll be OK.
  4. well, i've had my amp in my bassment for over a year without any trouble during the winter...and up here it gets down to -30 to -40 Celsius...
  5. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ...as stated.....it's not so much the temperature...

.....but the moisture that can result in temp changes......as condensation.....than do the real harm.

....Keepin' it dry is most important !! :)

6. Shouldn't be a problem if you keep it inside. BTW what part of Nebraska? I live in Lincoln.
  7. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    i also live in lincoln. :cool:

are you in a band? i might have seen you before.
  8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I live in Wisconsin. Is that close enough?

9. Not yet, I'm just learning. What band you in?
  10. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    i pm'ed you