Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will my B string be long enough?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by McCalister999, Sep 5, 2005.

1. This may already have been answered but I couldn't find it. I play a six string with 34 in. scale and am stringing it through the body. This is the first time I'm replacing the strings on it so I don't know how long of strings I need to buy. I usually go for D'Addarios (I just like them) but I don't know if I should try and find some "super long scale" strings, or if "long scale" strings should be long enough. Any advice?

2. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    You may be OK. If you want to eliminate the problem once and for all, get the Carvin extended ferrules. They don't add any length to the string, so you can use whatever normal strings you want without giving it a second thought...I don't.

Ferrule

3. Uhm... How would I use those?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I use regular D'addarios on my Fender with thru-body stringing and they're fine.

5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

D'Addario Chromes / ECB81-5SL's will work on a Fender 5 string, thru the body (4+1 headstock) This Super Long is aprox 38" from the ball end to the silk wrap.

H2

6. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Well....you would just install them as you would normal ferrules. The ball end of the string is farther into the ferrule, not all the way at the back of the bass. As a result, they are still strung through without any length being added. Got them on my main 5 and they work just fine.

7. I don't know how to install ferrules at all. But it seems that others have no problem stringing normal D'Addarios through a bass, so I guess I'll be alright.