Will my basses be damage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayJay, Jan 30, 2003.

1. JayJay

May 13, 2002
    Hi all,

Say I need to go overseas to work for a year but the situation does not allow me to bring even one bass to that place. Will my basses be damaged if I were to leave them untouched for such a long period?

Of course I will do a thorough cleaning job on the basses and detune the strings before I leave. Any more extras to take care of?

Any TBers have such experiences before?

Pls advice. Thks
  2. Just make sure the instruments are clean and that there's a bit of oil on the set screws.

Keep in a hard case and somewhere with a stable temp. and humidity and you'll be fine.

No Guarantee's if someone puts their paws on it while your away.
  3. JayJay

May 13, 2002
    Hi Donne,

Thanks for the advice. Will take note of that. HOpefully that day will not have to come as I just can't bear to leave my basses for extended period.:(

About getting a constant humidity, I guess it will be quite difficult unless I purchase a dehumidfier or what and leave it on for a year! Well we will see how.

Any more inputs?
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I don't know that detuning is necessary. All of my basses have been tuned; some for over a quarter century.
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Basses sit in Ma and Pop shops hardly touched for years at a time. Leave it tuned up in a climate controled room, preferably in one that has a humidity that stays the same( central air in humid weather).

Wipe it down and a little oil on the screws on the P-ups and bridge might help.

But of all things keep it in a case!!!
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the necks were designed to be under tension - i would not detune them for long periods.